Sexual Assault

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month so I am spreading the news. Each week this month I will post another fact about sexual assault in this section.

#1 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

#2 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.

#3 9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.

All information courtesy of RAINN, http://www.rainn.org/.

If you would like to help, feel free to participate in my fundraiser. I am selling Sexual Assault Awareness bracelets for $4 a piece (that includes shipping). All profits are going to RAINN (the national sexual assault network). I will post a link in the first reply.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• This isn't a question. You need to post this in your journal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It is in my journal and numerous groups. But awareness shouldn't end there. Plus I have seen numerous people post facts in the answers section. And I am ASKING people to please buy bracelets from my fundraiser to raise money for RAINN.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think maybee you could have asked a little something that you would like to talk about on the subject.That would be nice, have you been through a rape? & how have you handled it since, did you seek counciling and did you mabee take a protection class of some sorts after as a way of healing? That might have sounded better.Whould you like to share on it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I thought you couldn't advertise on cafemom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Where is the statistic about how many rape claims are false?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I was raped 5 years ago. I tried counseling but that didn't work due to my mother (many issues with her too). I told the police and was told there was nothing they could do unless I got a confession from him. I am willing to answer any questions put before me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:32 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I do not have the statistic on false reports. I only have the ones on how many are victims and how many go unreported and things like that. That is because the information is done by departments of the government and are NOT based on cases in the judicial system. The information is based upon surveys given to the general public.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Thats terrible I'm so sorry, I do know how you feel I was raped to and it's something you never completely can forget. The counciling helped for a minute but the discomfort is still there,.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Numbers don't mean anything (I've heard different ones from much more reliable sources) and this isn't a question.

Ugh.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 12:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2010