5 year old still in a crib

My friends 5 year old will NOT give up his crib for anything and I was wondering if this is something that she needs to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um no, I think 5 is way too old and I can't see how that would even be comfortable anymore. But her kid, her problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If he is happy there, then I'd let him stay. I don't see where it's a big deal. She has the other bed for the transition and he will change over when he is ready. Forcing him to give up something he feels secure in before he is ready might cause some damage.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• my brother has aspergers i remember it was hard for him to give up his crib. i think he did at around 3. but yea 5 is way too old. i remember on nanny 911 this chick was puttin her 4 yr old daugher in a crib and would get pissed when she would come out...a crib aint gonna keep a kid caged like a baby lol...people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• (OP) Thank you everyone for your honesty. Surprisingly, he still fits comfortably in it and at this rate, I can still picture him still in it at 6. As for the supernanny episode, I dont recall seeing that particular show and I am sure Jo ripped the woman for not letting her child get out of the crib. He can get out of the crib if he wants but once he is in there, he is pretty much there for the night and rarely gets out for anything.

On a side note, for some reason i am only seeing 1 sentence of my question and was wondering if anyone was still seeing my entire question. Thank you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• bout to be in school or already in school? yes she needs to be in a BIG girl bed..
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i only see the sentence.. anyways maybe if your friend sets up the big bed and just let him make the choice maybe one night she will go up stairs and find the kiddie sleeping in the big bed and hopefuly says yeahhh u did it awesome job.. u know keep it going..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• As long as he still fits. My son was a wild sleeper so being in a crib would have been better since he fell out so many times. Have you gotten him a big boy bed? Maybe taking time to the store to pick one out would get him interested in sleeping in a big boy bed.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think I'd just buy him a new bed and make the crib disappear. Kids get attached to all sorts of things and have a hard time giving them up (bottle, pacifiers, blankets, stuffed animals, etc.); being that attached to the crib is a different one for sure, but I would think it is just like breaking any other habit - you just do it when you're ready to deal with the potential protests from the child.

Anonymous

• For me, it would be a safety issue. Most cribs are not made to hold the weight of a 5 yr old and the entire crib could collapse. Best way to make the transition is to involve the child in the entire thing. Have him help pick out the bed (and go to a twin sized not a toddler size so it is one transition and not two), pick out the mattress, pick out the sheets and the comforter and pillow(s).
    Have him help dismantle the crib to either store OR take to a shelter where someone else can use it that truly needs it. Have him help build the new bed, make it, put it where he wants it, etc.

Good luck to your friend.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It is definitely a safety issue. There are height and weight limits. My son had one of those cribs that converts to a toddler bed and then a full size bed so you know it's sturdy but even as a toddler bed the weight limit is 50lbs and the maximum height limit is 35". Ask her to look at the instructions or find them online (sometimes difficult but you can email the manufacturer with model number usually) and check the limits.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010