Are we seeing "More Autism" on TV?

Hugely popular, the series of books spawned an animated show on PBS. In the 13th season of the show (beginning April 5th), Arthur and his pals will make a new friend, Carl. Carl has Asperger's. Still not sure what that is? That's okay, let Brain explain it for you.
http://www.metafilter.com/90105/Arthur-takes-on-the-autism-spectrum

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I remember that model from America's next top model Heather Kuzmich...she is autistic.

http://static.onesourcetalent.com/blog/images/Heather-Kuzmich-americas-next-top.jpg

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• "With one in 150 kids being diagnosed with being on the Autism Spectrum understanding, while we seek for answers, is of utmost importance. Asperger’s Syndrome, a form of autism, is addressed in an episode of Arthur, which will be broadcast on Monday April 5th on PBS Kids."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• The show Parenthood also has a child with Aspergers. I think it's important see many differnt types of children, it may open up our eyes to something many people knw very little about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i heard it was now 1 in 110...its freakin me out....my brother has aspergers
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• parenthood-aspergers.jpgDad Adam Braverman (Peter Krause) struggles to connect to son Max (Max Burkholder), who has Asperger syndrome, on NBC's "Parenthood."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It is now 1 in 110 and I heard from a therapist I know that they are thinking of changing it to 1 in 96.

I think this is great. I know there are lots of different special needs, but the "spectrum" is so complex and involves so many children it is front and center right now. I think it will help kids with and without asd's.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• January 29, 2008
    The American Academy of Pediatrics wants television network ABC to cancel the opener of "Eli Stone," a legal drama slated to debut on Thursday with an episode featuring a mother awarded $5.2 million after a jury finds her son’s autism to be caused by a vaccine additive.

Though the additive in "Eli Stone" is named "mercuritol," it’s clearly a proxy for thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative. Thimerosal was largely pulled from the U.S. market in 1999 after the FDA belatedly realized that an expanding routine immunization schedule had led to infant mercury exposures far beyond the EPA’s suggested safety limits.

Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/01/pediatricians-s/#ixzz0k3F9w2qQ
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• A Mother's Courage: Taking Back Autism Friday 6:00 PM on HBO (starts April 2, 2010)

Trailer

Autism is a spectrum of conditions some are high functioning sometimes considered geniuses and on the other side of the spectrum autistics are non-verbal and unable to function independently.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Claire Danes portrays a much younger Temple Grandin.

Claire Danes portrays a much younger Temple Grandin.

THE MOST impressive review of HBO's "Temple Grandin" may have come from Temple Grandin herself. A scientist and best-selling author with autism , the 62-year-old Grandin's a visual thinker - she titled one of her books "Thinking in Pictures" - and the details matter to her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2010