Cell phones. What age do you think is appropriate to let your child have one?

Not for me. My gf's daughter is 8 and is begging her for one. She told her not yet. What age do you think is appropriate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When they can sign the contract and pay for it themselves. Hubby and I don't even have cell phones. As far as having them with GPS in case they "disappear" that only works if they actually have the phone on them (during a struggle it could fall to the ground or the abductor can get rid of it at anytime). Just saying. I think society has gotten way to paranoid. What happened to how things were when we were kids? Our parents couldn't get a hold of us at a moments notice. We were gone all day and didn't come home till the street lights came on. Society being paranoid is ruining our childrens childhood. Did any one ever stop to think that pedofiles are in the news more now cause we as parents are lettign them WIN? They know that parents are paranoid and not teaching their children how to "survive" with out mom and dad. Parents aren't sitting down and talking to children about real issues and threats. They don't want to scare them.
    Anonymous

• I had a situtation where my son was 7 and he would have his sitter meet him at the house because I was still at school. I gave him the cell so that in case the sitter was late, or didn't show, he could call me to let me know. I gave him a key initially but he kept losing it so I gave the sitter the key instead and let my son have a cheap cell phone.

I guess it depends on what he would use it for and where a situation would come up where it would very very helpful.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• depends on what your lifestyle is. Our children got one as a graduation gift from 6th grade to middle school.
    Anonymous

• For my kids it will be when they are old enough to have a job and pay for the phone/air time themselves.
    Anonymous

• as soon as they started going places without me. wether its 8, 9 ,10 - whenever. but definatly by 12 they will have one.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I told my daughter if she shows she can take good care of her DS , not lose it, keep it charged, don't break it, then I might get her a phone, really for my own piece of mind! She is almost 9. I think it would be a great way to keep in touch when she is at a friends and this year she is going to camp for a week with Girl Scouts.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 12:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• We have what we call the kids phone. It's a prepay. So we only pay 20$ every three months. They only use it if they go to friends that's out of Hollering distance. My hollering distance is quite far. Now when the older ones started driving I put them on my plan,  if they had a job they paid their part of the bill.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think that I'll get my dd a track phone when she is around 12 and just let her use it when she goes somewhere so she can call me (not her friends) If she wants one for personal use she will have to buy it and pay for the paln/minutes herself.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• as soon as they know how to remember numbers and dial them.
    My son is 6 and he goes down the street on his bike and I make him take my cell and I call him on it every 5 minutes. He will have his own next year for sure.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 12:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• my 7 and 8 yr old have cell phones, my kids play in the neighborhood and if im cooking dinner its kind of hard to leave the house to track them down lol
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010