My 9 month old has the "fever virus". What are some things I could do to keep his fever down? And what type foods are good for fever? His doc said to give him plenty of fluids (pedialyte) when the fever is high and formula when it's lower. What else could I do for him? This is his first fever/sickness.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, I was going to say alternate Tylenol 4 hours and IB Profen 6 hours and make sure you have the right dose. I was giving my son too little Tylendol because I gapped that he gains weight and needs more. Light clothing. Sometimes I would throw a cool (not cold) wash cloth on his head. He hates it, so I would make a peek-a-boo game out of it. My son's fevers have lasted 2+days, but if you can keep it under control it's fine. Remember the fever is what is fighting off the sickness, it's necessary for him to get better. Good luck. Hope he feels better soon!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Um just what the doc says. Give tylenol every 4 hours, and keep him hydrated. He will fine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• tylenol, motirn, baths, keep light clothing on him and keep fluids in, perferably cold...
    Anonymous

• Motrin is better for a fever than tylenol and 9 months old is old enough for infant's motrin. My pediatrician said not to give Pedialyte under the age of 1 year. I didn't ask why though.

You want to dress your baby in cotton so it doesn't trap in his body heat, but don't dress him cooler than you are dressed. If he gets a chill his temp will go up because his body will try to counter act the chill. If his temp gets really high, get damp wash cloths and put them in his arm pits and his groin (where his legs meet his trunk).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Oh, and while you do want to dress a babywith a fever for the current temp (not too cold or too hot), you do not want to cover his feet. Never put a feverish baby in a footed sleeper or put socks on. An ER dr told me that traps the fever in and causes it to rise.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I don't give tylenol until the fever is over 102... The fever helps work off whatever they're fighting. Other than that, i give mine pedialyte, diluted juice, water.... banana's, crackers, applesauce.... soup... stuff that's easy on the tummy until they're better.

If the fever get's too high, i give Tylenol and give a bath to help drop the temp.. I avoid motrin.. i've heard from an old doc that it's better to not give them that because it can irritate their stomaches some...only give it when they're very ill and necessary.

Anonymous

• Thanks Ladies!!
    Anonymous