whats the best way to take a toddlers temperature with a digital thermometer?

whats the best way to take a toddlers temperature with a digital thermometer? my daughters 3 and hasnt ate nothing all day and wants to sleep... pretty sure shes coming down with something but i dont know what way i should take her temp she wont sit still and shes fussy as well, would fussing affect her temp also? i just dont know how accurate it will be if she working herself up...

jaelynsmama07

Asked by jaelynsmama07 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• under her arm pit when she's asleep
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i do under the armpit.. my son age 4 gets fussy when i do it and as i do it i distract him lets count till we hear the beep....it helps.
    Anonymous

• under the arm. my 3 yr old doesn't understand the concept of under the tongue lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• yes try under the arm....might be hard to get them to sit still!
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• would her fussing about it raise her temp?
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i tryed under the tongue too yeah she didnt get it lol
    jaelynsmama07

• I don't think it will raise it significantly enough for concern. Mine does that to and I have to hold her arm down at her side and I tell her that her job is to watch it and tell me when it beeps. that usually distracts her lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• lol i just got her to sit still i think she just so tired she gave in, but it was 101.4 so she does have a temp...not sure if they'd really do anything if i brought her in probably not...
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Under the armpit (axillary) is the easiest. HOWEVER keep in mind that an axillary temp is one degree lower than an oral temp, and an oral temp is one degree lower than a rectal temp.

So, if you get 100.5 in the armpit, that would be the same as 101.5 in the mouth, and 102.5 in the bum.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• you should invest in one of the ear digital thermometers .... they are great for kids of all ages!!!!!!!!
    schadtzen

Answer by schadtzen at 4:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2010