To moms with pit bulls...

do people ever like your dog until they find out that it's a pit bull?

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I've had a few people let their kids run up to my pit and pet her and then they say, "What a gorgeous dog, what is she?" And when I say pit bull, sometimes they kinda freak out a little. Most people can see how well mannered and even natured she is that they're ok with it. She really doesnt care if kids hug her and touch her all over. She just wants to give them kisses.
    Anonymous

• Do you mean pit bull mixes that don't look like pit bulls? Otherwise, how could they not know?
    Anonymous

• Most people know my pit bulls are pit bulls just by looking at them. Lots of people are nervous of the breed, i completely understand and it doesnt offend me
    Anonymous

• No I mean normal pit bulls. It has happened to me several times. People come over start petting my dog when we are out walking and ask what kind she is when I say pit bull they look terrified and leave.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• anon 59: Some people don't know what pit bulls look like. They just hear about how some of them have attacked someone so they don't like them.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have only had a couple of people pull their hand away when they found out what my dogs were bu they immediatelygo back to petting them.  I also had one person start saying nasty things about Pit bulls while staring at my dog in Petsmart.    My dog was sitting quietly by my side, ignoring everything around her ,by the way, while her dog was was lunging at mine barking and being down right annoying.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have a Pit/Chow mix that manages to freak more people out because she has green eyes than for any other reason. There are people who notice that she has Pit in her and are nervous ~ mostly it makes me laugh. She's a sweetie with humans and male dogs, but lousy with female dogs. She's one of my rescues and I adore her in spite of the bad upbringing that nothing seems to correct. She's also my smallest dog.

My purebred Chow scared people a lot more, especially moms. He loved babies and toddlers though, and generally once a mom saw that he would lie still on the ground while they crawled on him they relaxed. My boys were a bit older and we always took him along to their ball games. Poor King didn't know he was scary, but he did adore children. He had a loyal following of children halfway through the first year.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I have a red Doberman so that happens ALL THE TIME to me since he's not the traditional coloring. Some one will be petting him and talking to me, "he's so beautiful, what kind of dog is he?" when I tell them he's a Doberman they have literally gasped, pulled their hand away and jumped back lol. Seriously people, you were just petting him for like 30 seconds and he didn't try to eat you lol! For the record, he is an excellent example of the breed, they just don't recognise him as a Doberman because they have never seen a red and tan Doberman

[IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/blueliner9/loushilo.jpg[/IMG]

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Guess that one didn't work... Photobucket
    Blueliner

• I love pit bulls. We have so many at my work and alot of people come in saying, "oh, they're cute until they eat your child's face off."
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 5:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2010