Son wants to add his father as a Facebook Friend on my account.

My ex and I both have Facebook accounts. We are both playing ZooWorld. Last night my son, age 6, was playing with me, when he asked why we couldn't visit his dad's zoo. I tried to explain that daddy isn't on our Zoo list. Son still wants to add daddy.

Ex and I do not have a good relationship at all. I've actually blocked him, his family and friends on my FB account. We had a horrible custody battle in which his family and friends lied in declarations for the court.

But, now I'm thinking that maybe I should create an account for my son to communicate with that side of the family and he could have his own zoo.

How would you handle this? I don't want to exclude that side of the family from my son's life but, I don't want them in my life.

thanks for reading.

sheilaj817

Asked by sheilaj817 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I think creating an account for him would be a great idea, provided you are always present when he uses it and only you know the password.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 2:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• DON'T DO IT!!!! Once he can access your account you will proabaly use it against you. If you don't have a good relationship and you don't trust him do not allow him access to your facebook.
    Can he visit his dad's zoo when he is with his dad??
    Anonymous

• Really? Facebook is such a locked in relationship and all. I don't get all this drama stuff over Facebook. Hell, it doesn't matter one way or another. Who really cares? It's the internet.. nothing is real!!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't add the ex but making an account for your son sounds like a nifty idea.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i had to make a myspace account for DS b/c of the same thing. i wanted to keep the paternal family "close by" just in case DS ever decided that he wanted to contact one. right now, there's only 3 people on his friend's list-- me, DS's grandmother on his dad's side, and his sister's mom (same dad, different mom). i keep them updated on DS's life throughout the week and stuff.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 4:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I can see the good and bad to doing that, I would make one but be very careful. Always monitor him while he is on the computer. Once you see any red flags, delete the page.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Creating an account for your son is a good idea. It's what I would do if I didn't want my ex in my friend's list, however my ex has been reasonable the last year so I finally accepted his friend request, along with his dad and brother, but his girlfriend is blocked on facebook and myspace because that bitch just likes to start shit with me and start shit between me and my ex.

I understand not wanting your ex on your page, a couple years ago I had to block my ex from my myspace page because he didn't like some of my blog posts and printed them out and tried to use them in our custody battle - he tried telling the judge I was emotionally unstable...yea I'm emotionally unstable says the man who spent most of his childhood in and out of rehab and psychiatric hospitals and his last stint in the psych ward was only 4 years ago!
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i see no problem my 7 yr old has his own facebook and myspace, but for different reasons, he wanted his myspace his style,its ben 10 themed and he wanted his own farmville, and he designed his own farm. only family is on both accounts
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't add him either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2010