For the people who like to be enviromentally cautios.. Dishwashers vs Hand Washing

I 100% they used up too much energy and water. i live in a apartment and have one. I dont know the year of it or the maker but i did use it last night one time for the first time because my back is killing me (40 weeks 2 days pregnant) but it started to leak upwards which makes no sense to me. 3 times my kitchen counters where over flowed by water.

I wanted to know if you really think a dishwasher wastes less water then hand washing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well, yours is obviously broken, so that's not a fair comparison. I use my dishwasher and handwash. Anything that is large, delicate or pots/pans, I hand wash and everything else goes in the dishwasher. My water bill is only $20/month at most, so neither are using a ton of water. I also have energy efficient front loader washer and dryer.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It has nothing to do with it being broken Lol. It was a general question. i have used dishwashers before. and my bill for water is never $20 a month. I also live in Pierce County, Tacoma Washington. My water bill even if i never used the dishwasher which is true i never used it. is $60-75 a month. we dont have energy efficient washer and dryers. there old! thats what you get when you live in a apartment. the manager told us they cant store there fridge, washer, dryer if we bought our own because they do not have any storage to keep them and we would have to keep in our garage which is stupid because we have a ton of boxes over flowing from moving from california to Germany (army).
    Anonymous

• Does your toilet run a lot or do you have a leaky faucet, maybe? That seems extremely high. How large is your family? Do you take long showers? I take very short showers, turn the water off while I brush my teeth, but I do wash my hand a million times a day.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Wash my handS--hahaha, it would be funny if I only washed one. Oh and we are a family of 3 and my daughter still takes baths.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• DISHWASHERS USE LESS WATER .WALLET POP .COM DID AN EXPERIMENT WITH USING THE DISHWASHER,THE SINK,AND HAND WASHING IN A BUCKET OF WATER AND THE DISHWASHER USED LESS WATER!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• There are pros & cons to both environmentally speaking. If you buy the dishwashers that make the most effort to not waste water or energy than can be better than hand-washing.
    Anonymous

• The dishwashers these day are very efficient and use very little water. Plus they heat the water which kills more germs. I always use it. But I do not use the dry mode, I just let it air dry.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• we are a family of 4. i am the op..
    5 year old, 3 1/2 year old. me and dh. yes we take long showers. well i do and i take daily baths, wash clothes every few days. my husband keeps the water faucet on while he uses the bathroom and he is in there for 30-45 mins with his stupid laptop.
    Anonymous