How does this bill address the cost of health care?

Not health insurance, health care. Nothing I've heard addresses the high costs of medical care. The insurance companies aren't the whole problem.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 3:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• google "health care reform bill document". You can read it yourself and see. People will just post opinions on here.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It doesn't. It instructs medicare and medicaid to pay less for certain procedures, but the procedures will still cost the same. The doctors just have to eat the cost now or find somewhere else to make it up. Drug prices won't go down, equipment prices won't go down, and salaries won't go down, at least not by the law. Salaries may go down to make up for everything else going up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It makes it so health care will cost even more. Just like when they did the thing with the credit cards and the credit card companies raised their interest rates to ridiculous amounts.
    Anonymous

• It's addressing the cost by making it that much MORE expensive to have and with far fewer benefits!!! LOL *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I work @ a health insurance company & so many day's I see insane things. Someone has a surgery done by an Out of network doctor & the doctor charges $15K for something that usually In network would only be about $3k......the member get's billed for the entire $13k. It's crazy. I always feel so bad for these people, going bankrupt over medical bills. Everyone's so quick to blame the insurance companies, not address the gross overcharging by the doctor's, facilities, etc. Hopefully if anything healthcare reform will make people more aware of their insurance plans. you would not believe how many people say I didn't know I had a $2k ded, I pay you $900 a month for insurance. Well, read what you are paying for & do the research. I strongly believe that peope should research & pick their best option, not just try to blame someone else. and omg make sure your going somewhere In network please! It will save you so much!
    Anonymous

• Did anyone SERIOUSLY, deep down in the bottom of your being, did you really think that anything the government does will result in a lower cost to you? Honestly, did you? The only thing the federal government is good at is making more regulations and more spending. And this bill delivers just that ~ more regulations and more spending!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Did anyone SERIOUSLY, deep down in the bottom of your being, did you really think that anything the government does will result in a lower cost to you?

Sadly many do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I didnt. Government equals redtape and paperwork followed by disorganization, waste and headaches
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Thank You! The trial lawyers are a huge part of the problem and not the insurance companies. They are more of a scape goat than the problem. My son was in a 4-wheeler accident and then a car wreck. His medical bills were $50,000 in one year. We paid $5,000. Now, we had to put it on a payment plan, but we didn't pay $45,000 of those bills. The insurance company paid the bills. My husband tore his ACL. His surgery and follow-up therapy was $24,000. We paid $4,000. So, in 3 years we paid $9,000 of $64,000 in bills. How do I complain about insurance? I would be very hypocritical if I did.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It doesn't. ... And it cannot even lower the cost of health insurance either, not the way they wrote it.

But lowering health CARE costs IS do-able: Let ME pay DIRECTLY for my own - and still pay no taxes on the money I use to pay for health insurance and health care - instead of attaching my medical coverage to my employer.

Change the set-up so that I pay the doctor directly, and get reimbursed by the insurance company. That way, I will be faced with what it costs, and I'll ask questions about "Do I really NEED this?" "Is there a less expensive alternative?". And the doctor also would be able to cut down extra tests if I have refused them.

And if I am paying out of pocket, this might provide a more realistic incentive for taking care of myself (a big ballyhoo of the Progressives), WITHOUT having the gov't step in an outlaw all kinds of habits and foods in the name of saving the gov't's health care $$.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2010