How can I make sure my son doesn't feel neglected now that I have to work?

I work full time during the week and then his dad has him every other weekend. I was a SAHM until now. He is almost 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just make sure that when you ARE home that you maximize your time with him. Don't fall into the trap of "buying" his love or being "too tired" to engage him.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I feel your pain. I work full time during the week. when my kids dad started having them every other weekend I found myself missing them so much and just waiting for them to get home. But honestly, I've found a way to keep myself busy and spend the most time I can w/them. When they are with their dad I completly clean the house, top to bottom. Get all the big chores & laundry out of the way while they are away. then my weekends with them we take our little trips to the zoo, butterfly house, wherever & get tto have the best times together. It's hard during the week sometimes to get that quality time in with them after working all day, but don't forget to spend time with them after work too.
    Anonymous

• Make sure to play with him when you get home. Be excited to see him when you walk in the door and don't feel guilty about working or he will pick up on it. You be proud that you are providing for your family and he will feel it too. I agree use the time when he is with Dad to do deep cleaning of your home. You are going to do just fine Mama. Be proud of yourself and your family.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2010