dressing the 15 yr old girl

do you buy special holiday clothing for your teen? do you require a certain style of dress or just the most appropriate thing she has?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My teen can wear whatever she wants for our family holiday get-togethers as long as it is clean. At this age they need to be able to make their own choices
    Anonymous

• i think let her go with you to pick out something for the holidays. you guys can have fun shopping together, you'll get some say in what she wears, and she'll be pleased that you want to be involved and accepting in her style changes. I'm sure she'll pick something you'll approve of, and she'll feel good about herself coz she picked it! just have fun with it, and enjoy getting that time together, coz very soon, she won't want your input on her clothes, at all!
    Anonymous

• Lol anon:11, will you please take my 14 yo dd shopping? I have yet to have a pleasant shopping trip with her.

OP - I will buy my teen something new, but she has to choose it. At this age she is not going to like anything I choose. If she doesn't want to choose something new, then I let her wear whatever she has clean. She may not be dressed as I would like, but she also isn't going to look too awful because I don't let her buy anything that I wouldn't allow her to wear out of the house.
    Anonymous

• As long as her "lady parts" are not showing she can wear whatever she wants. I am not going to force my daughter into a style that she hates and will never wear again just for a holiday.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Go shopping with her, and both of you select 3 outfits. You choose one of the outfits that she selected, and she chooses one of yours. From there, you both agree to compromise and give REAL reasons as to why your respective outfit should be the final selection. Teach her the fine art of negotiation.
    haysncgirl

Answer by haysncgirl at 10:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• When I was a teen, I HATED letting my mom choose my clothes. I am serious, she made me dress like I was six instead of fourteen. Of course, anything that I wanted to wear was inappropriate, never mind that it wasn't too short, or too tight, and nothing was showing that should not have been. She and I had some epic clothes battles.
    This is one thing I refuse to fight about with my daughters. Just because I don't like their style, doesn't mean they can't wear it. They are still very young, but they don't wear anything indecent. In fact they think it's gross when they see other girls/women wearing indecent clothing (boobs, butt, and the like showing). LOL my oldest even gets embarrassed when I wear a short skirt, hahaha.
    I think that they should be allowed to choose their own clothes. As long as it's not inappropriate, what could possibly be wrong with it.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I have 4 teenage girls and we all go shopping together. I have the final say what they wear. Even when they go to school I lay out their clothes the night before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2010