Birthday Parties & Gifting

When you have a party for your child do you expect for people to bring a gift? I usually hate having parties because no one shows up because they feel bad for not bringing a gift and I really do not take my kids to parties for the same reason. Usually it ends up being a bunch of relatives who do show up.

In all honesty, I really do not care if someone brought a gift or not, just as long as people who are invited shows up to eat some cake, food and let the kids play and enjoy themselves, and have a little adult conversation.

I feel the parent should be solely responsible for the majority of the gifts anyway.

Yes, it is nice to receive gifts but I do understand if the invitee cannot afford the gift.

My kids are happy regardless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Holidays

• When I throw my kids parties I dont care if people bring a gift. I just want them to bring their kids so they can all play. My kids care more about playing with other kids then they do the girft. But I do also feel bad to show up at a party without a gift. If I dont have a gift for them I at least get them a card and put what ever cash I can give in it.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 4:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have never heard of a person not coming because they dont want to give a gift.... why would someone not want to give your child a gift?

If you think your friends are really that selfish... send the invites saying 'no gifts please'.

I still find that odd.
    Anonymous

• Then always put in the invites "No Gifts Necessary" but in all honest I think a little token gesture would be nice for the child. Say a McD's gift card or something of that sort.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2010