Did you/Do you drink while pregnant?

I am a lover of fine wines, fine liquors, upscale beers... I love taste testing them. I'm 11 weeks pregnant, and its been driving me crazy that I can't drink. No, I don't have a drinking problem. I drink on occasion, and I just love to taste things like different liquors. I use to go to alot of "Tasting" parties, but now I've missed quite a few. I talked to my Dr. about it all, and he said that its fine for me to have a drink now and then, but that a red wine would be my best option, and that to be safe I should have no more than a small glass. I poored a glass of very expensive wine lastnight, and stare at it for a while, then dumped it out. ;( I feel so scared and selfish that I want to drink, even tho I have the OK from my Dr. Anyone else go through this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would NEVER risk it. You never know what that one time could possibly do.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• A single, small glass is not harmful. Many other developed nations don't forbid pregnant women from drinking. The reason Americans are told to completely forgo alcohol is that we don't know how much or how little alcohol is needed to cause FAS. Rather than trusting that we're smart, capable women who can figure out the difference of when it's too much, the doctors tend to advise we avoid it all together. Have a glass, and don't worry about it.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 5:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• When I got pregnant my first time I was 17 years old, I drank ALOT, Like everyday. When I got pregnant I did not stop. My mother found out and told me if I drink while I am pregnant I could give my baby down syndrome. I quit drinking for the rest of my pregnancy, which was only was few months to go. My baby came out beautiful and healthy thank God. With my next pregnancies I did not drink at all. I would not recommend it at all

hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 5:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• During my second pregnancy my doctors advised that I drink a small glass of wine (4oz) every other day through the second and the third trimesters. For me it was suggested because I had pre-eclampsia and hellp syndrome with my first pregnancy and delivered at 32 weeks. My son only lived to be 9 days old. The doctors said that red wine would help to keep my blood pressure lower for longer. I carried to 38 weeks before developing pre-eclampsia with my second. It took me a long time to get past the feeling that I was doing something that isn't right during pregnancy. I would never drink wine while pregnant just because though. I only did it because my doctors seemed to think it was necessary. I don't really even like wine.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 5:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I a took maybe 3 sips of wine that was really it but im not really big on drinking to begin with, but i agree with ncbirdie
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• yes. I had a couple beers and a glass or two of wine (total) over the 9 mo. period. I did this with all 3 kids.
    Anonymous

• I'm preg with #4 and drink occasionally. But I also sit on public restroom toilets and don't buckle my seat belt until I pull out the driveway. Guess I'm an awful dangerous person.
    Anonymous

• no I didnt and wouldnt , because i just dont drink....

my friend drank for her pregnancy, and now she wonders why her 3 year old has so many problems !
    Anonymous

• I had red wine once in a while...but only around 4 oz. I really just didn't want alcohol when I was pregnant....it just didn't taste good to me.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My doctors also said it was fine once in a while and I would have had a small glass of wine now and then if it wasn't for the fact that just the smell of it gave me the worst heartburn ever, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2010