How can I pull off "The perfect black dress" look w/o looking like I'm going to a funeral?

Need fashion advice, trying to update my wardrobe for things that are classic in style and that I can mix and match but I have no idea where to start...can I at least get some advice on the "black dress" ?

Also, where would one where it? To a cocktail party? I don't go out often so I'd like something I can dress up and dress down. THX!

guam_mama

Asked by guam_mama at 5:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have a lovely little wrap around black dress that I can dress up or down. I dont know that I would call it cocktail attire (wouldnt wear it to a cocktail party) but it can be dressed up for a nice dinner out. I think I picked it up at Macy's.
    Anonymous

• do you wear black shoes w/ it? how do you make it seem less dreary? i tried jewelry but idk, it didn't look right. i guess cause the jewelry was silver, it still looked like i was going to a funeral! LMAO
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 6:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• it is all in the accessories (sp) ... for a fun going out time add bright colored ( hot pink, teal, etc) shoes, purse, long necklace or even big earrings)

you can even make it casual ( well dressy casual) ...by putting it with a cute thin cropped jacket or a cardigan.

just dont do black shoes, jewelry, purse, etc unless you actually are going to a funeral lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• also go to Kaboodle.com and type black dress into the search and it gives you a variety of all the stores that has it and you can look at different prices as well
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree with glamomomo, was going to suggest red or leopard print pumps, fun jewelry....dress it down with a cardigan...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Get a dress that is form fitting and not frumpy looking. You don't wear a sexy black dress to a funeral, but you would wear one out on the town. Match it with a cute red hand bag. I would go with black heels though. The color should come through in jewelry or handbag. If you do colorful jewelry, then go with a black handbag. A simple necklace, nothing chunky. And really simple earings if any at all. A sexy hairdo would be a simple twist up.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would get a form fitting plain black dress (no beading,etc.) Then when you want to dress it up for a dinner or a party you can wear bright or metallic heels, statement pieces of jewelry (chunky bracelets, bright necklaces, big earrings, etc.) but make sure you only wear one statement piece and have the rest of your jewelry be simple complimentary pieces. To make the dress "casual" pair it with ballet flats and a cropped jacket (denim, khaki, etc.) The way you wear your hair can have a big effect too. A sleek style will come off dressier/more professional then loose waves or a low ponytail and head band.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I wore a little black dress with strappy black sandals to a wedding last summer. I added some color with a red shawl and matching earrings. I received so many compliments. If you get a classic sheath dress you could put a jacket or sweater over it and pair it with more conservative shoes for things like church or a job.
    Jonescatnj

Answer by Jonescatnj at 2:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would get a regular black dress that is a tad bit above your knee( not mini skirt length). i have 2 of these that i bought from old navy for about 20 bucks each. when i want to dress down, i wear my dress with colored ballet flats and a mini jean jacket( the kind that come right under your breast). when i want to dress it up, i pull my hair up in a chignon(bun) add a nice thick belt around my waist( colored of course) and a colored pair of pumps. i just threw a bday party for my daughter who turned 6. she wanted a red carpet styled party do we all dressed up. I wore my black dress with a zebra print belt and red pumps, i had my hair in a ponytail to the side and put big curls in it.
    tamarijay

Answer by tamarijay at 6:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Two words: Colored accessories. The biggest problem I see women doing is wearing black shoes and metal jewelry with black! IMHO that's the best thing you can do to look like it's a funeral! Colorful jewelry - WalMart for instance has really cool faux turquoise multi-strand necklaces that would look cool. A pretty pair of green strappy sandals would look good too.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 8:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010