how do i get my 6 month old to sleep through out the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is your baby bottle or breast fed.

From what ive read a bottle fed baby may be able to go through the night, if they are ready..However breast milk is digested faster and may keep them from sleeping through the night for awhile.

Plus all babies are different. I dont know if you own it, but in What to expect in the first year, there is a great section on this very question.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 10:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Check out the CIO alternatives group. Sleeping through the night is a big misconception. Lots of babies never sleep more than 6 hours a night till they are older than 18 months to two years. Others do much better. PM me for more details, just please, don't do the CIO or Ferber method! : )
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Try giving your baby a nice warm bath and then whether they are breastfed or bottle fed give them a warm bottle. That seem s to work for me and my baby is only 2months. I breastfeed but i pump for night feeding and he doesn't wake up during the night.
    simee1485

Answer by simee1485 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Both of my kids have slept through the p.m. I let them cry it out @ 4mths. of age. It took a week of me crying myself but the explanation from all pediatricians, Dr. Sears,etc. is that we don't wake up @2,4,6 a.m. to eat etc..I know that it sounds like "tough love" but honestly my 2 yr. old goes 2 sleep @7:30 & wakes up at 9 and my 10mth. old sleeps @6:30 to 8:30.. I am definitely not sleep deprived and they are not undernourished. Good luck.
    LOVEMYBOYS291

Answer by LOVEMYBOYS291 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• If you want info on why CIO is dangerous, let me know.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• have you tried cutting naps down in the daytime.. I had the same problem with my 1 year old.. so instead of letting him take two-two hour naps a day I cut it down to only letting him take 1 two hour nap.. now he goes to bed at 8 pm and sleeps all night till 7 hope it helps
    mamanovak3

Answer by mamanovak3 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2008