Need advice on my son.

I have a son who is only child. He is an only child in every sense of the word. He is the only grandchild on both sides. neither my husband's siblings or mine have kids & all of us are what you would consider middle aged. My son is getting so lonely, it makes me want to cry for him. I can't have any more children due to medical reasons & I have asked my husband continously about adopting a child around my son's age & he flat out refuses to adopt a child. I have tried to have some of friends over, but none have been able to come over.Do any of you have any advice how I can help my son not be so lonely? I would be appreciative in any help any of you can give me.

larak

Asked by larak at 6:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say take him to the park, he's in school, go to PTA meetings and make friends with parents and have them and their kids over. Sometimes it's hard for them to make friends on their own.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 7:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Do you know of any playdates, in your area? Have you thought about putting him in a daycare for a few hours each week? He'll make lots of friends at daycare, don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you look in to it and decide it's the right thing for him. My son liked going to daycare. I put him in when he was 3 1/2 and he befriended a girl his age. They are now 12 and are still good friends.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 7:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Thanks to the both of you for your answers. I didn't realize it, but I didn't put in my son's age. My is 6 & actually does very well in school. I take him to the park, I take him to my gym when the daycare there is open. I am trying to find some camps for him in the summer so he won't be all by himself.
    larak

Answer by larak at 7:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Take him to the park where he can play with other kids his age.
    Maybe get together with the other mom's with kids his age and have a big summer party.
    If you have a bounce house, Chucky Cheese, or something else of that matter try and take him there. That's another great way for him to meet new kids adn you to meet new parents.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Activities - AWANA, cub scouts, community classes for kids, time at the park, take him to fast food restaurants (just go in and buy water after you eat lunch at home if you don't want him eating there) so he can play in their play areas, indoor gyms, library story hours and events
    Anonymous

• Cub Scouts is a good idea!! I can't believe I didn't think of that. My son did Cub Scouts for 4 years and he enjoyed. It started getting a little too religious for his liking, so he decided not to rejoin as a Webelo 2.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 9:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Cub Scouts is a great group for that age. If you are religious, your local church is a great resource with programs for the kids on Sundays and some have them on Wednesdays.
    Story time activites at the local library. Look for day camps for the summer. If you have a local Y, lots of them have after school programs.
    A sports team is another option.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010