How do I handle a 21 month old who will miss her one and only nap tomorrow?

Ugh...my SO's mom is having Easter dinner at 12:30pm. My dd doesn't wake up from her nap until 12:30pm or 1pm, which means she'll have to skip her nap tomorrow. She usually goes to bed by 7pm.

Any suggestions on how to handle the potential toddler meltdowns that will happen as a result of missing her nap?

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Umm... why not wait to go there until after her nap. A cranky toddler at a family function is not fun and everyone will be miserable. Have your MIL set aside some food for you guys and go when your DD gets up.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 8:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Why can't you just wake her up a little early?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would let her sleep, and just join everyone after she wakes up! Better to have a well-rested toddler than a cranky one! She's not likely to eat much if anything anyway, so she won;t be missing out on much. besides, if you force her to stay awake, she'll likely fall asleep later in the afternoon, and be up earlier in the morning or get the dreaded burst of energy at 11:00PM!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Can't she start her nap and you put her in the car still asleep and let her finish the nap out at grandma's? You can make her up a plate for when she wakes up that way she will be well rested.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• OP

Well, she goes down for her nap at 11am, and we have to take a cab to SO's mom's house, so we'd have to be ready to leave the house by Noon. So she would only get to nap 30 minutes...IF she falls asleep at 11am...sometimes she doesn' fall asleep until 11:15-11:30am.
    Anonymous

• Why not just put her down at her normal time? If you leave the house by noon she still gets an hour nap. She may even fall asleep in the cab to finish her nap. If she's cranky when you get there put her down but if she isn't then let her eat at the table.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Any chance you could go early and her nap there? Would she nap in the car?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• She'll be fine and when she gets too tired to function she'll fall asleep. Missing this one nap won't hurt her and getting a little off schedule won't hurt either. At almost 2 it's probably time for you to start to get her on a more flexible schedule. I never handled being tied to a nap schedule.
    Anonymous

• Dinner at 12:30? Sounds more like lunch to me. I would go when my baby woke up. If she doesn't get her nap she will be cranky and who will have to deal with it? You. It's not the end of the world if you are a half hour late.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Either try to give her a nap a little early, or put her down for a nap after you get to your family's house.
    See if they're actually eating at 12:30. If they're eating a little later, then go after your tott wakes up.

If she does have to miss her nap, then try to keep her occupied. Make sure she's fed, dry, and has had a bottle/sippy. Then let her color, play with toys, run around, and maybe she'll end up taking a later nap.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010