anyone with preemies born at 32+ week gestation??

looks like my daughter will be coming early, im 32 weeks 1day. i would like to know what to to expect , and not expect... im really nervous and scared. I've had 2 of the 3 steriod injections so far for her lungs. any stories or anything should help,,, thanks.

shorty_18

Asked by shorty_18 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I haven't personally but I have a friend from here that had her son around 26 weeks and he is 5 months old now and doing wonderfullly. Yes he is having lots of surgery but he is doing great! My little sister was also born around 30 weeks and she was great came home about 4 weeks after she was born and is now 17 and healthy.
    I am sure that the only issue would be the NICU for a little while.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If she does come early she will be in the NICU for a while. She will need to be able to suck, maintain body temperature, and gain weight before leaving. They used to keep them until 5 lbs but they don't anymore if they can do the other things. She will most likely have a feeding tube through the nose. They can use breast milk but sometimes need to supliment with a high cal formula. She will be on monitors for resperation and heart rate. The alarms go off often but most of the time you just give baby a little touch and they remember to breath. Sometimes baby goes home with a monitor too. I loved having the monitor at home, it made me feel safe. I don't know if I'm forgetting anything... if you have other questions just ask :) I spent 2 1/2 months in the NICU with my 24 weeker
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• *babies don't start sucking until 35 weeks, that is why she might need help feeding
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I got the steroid shot when I went into labor at 29 weeks. My DS was born at 34 weeks. He was 5 lbs 11 oz and had no breathing problems at all. He was just really sleepy and needed to learn to nurse. I needed to pump to bring in my milk supply. He was in the NICU for 6 days.
    Babies are able to suck/nurse as early as 30 weeks. The breastmilk you produce for a premiee is higher in fat calories and antibodies and usually perfect for baby.
    Good luck keeping baby in as long as you can!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• my baby was just born at 29wks 2days..she stayed in the nicu for the first two months of her life and is now home..shes doing fine..and dont expect that breast feeding thing to work out either..mine worked for about 3wks and completely stopped..if you can do it..its great but if not dont beat yourself up about it..good luck
    Anonymous

• My dtr was born at 29w6d and spent 6 weeks in NICU. Its great that you've had the steroid shots, that gives your baby a head start. My dtr was born 6 hours after I got my 1st one. Your baby may need some support to breath when he/she is born and they have different levels-breathing tube, CPAP (on the nose) and Oxygen via the nose. The other issue is eating. They will probably use a tube in his/her nose to get nutrition in until he/she is able to coordinate the "suck, swallow, and breath" sequence. If you want to breastfeed, the best thing you can do is pump, pump, pump and work with the lactation consultant at the NICU. Every preemie is different and it is an emotional experience. I wish you and your baby the best!
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 1:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My daughter was born at 34 weeks. She spent about 10 days in the NICU, until she could breathe well, suck and maintain her body temp. During her time in the NICU, she was treated for jaundice, had a feeding tube for a while, and had oxygen. When she came home from the hospital, she was skinny (she didn't have the plumpness of a full-term newborn.) She wasn't on a monitor. In her first four weeks at home, she gained 6 lbs, and she caught up with full-term kids well before 1 year.

As for breastfeeding, I was never able to product sufficient breast milk, which seems to be common with preemies. But if you can't produce much breast milk, you can BF for the bonding and comforting and supplement with formula.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I had my son at 27 weeks 2 days. He spent 10 weeks 4 days in the NICU. Overall, at the time it seemed so horrible, but in hindsight it could have been worse.

Like the other ladies have said, she might need a little help breathing, there are several different things, a vent, a CPAP, high flow, low flow etc. You might see apnea, or bradys. She might have to be on reflux meds, and caffeine.

My baby came home on an apnea monitor, and oxygen. After he was able to suck, swallow, and breathe, which some babies can do as early as 33 weeks, with him he was closer to 35 before he figured it out. They also need to maintain their temp, along with other things, which escape me right now.

It is proven that girls do much better then boys.

Overall, it will be hard, but the survival rate at the point your at is over 95%. Good Luck!
    momofthree109

Answer by momofthree109 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• thanksso much ladies for your touching stoies
    :) im still in the hospital, hopefullymgoing home tomorrow with home monitoring and a terbutaline pump... scared scared scared but i know its all worth it for my little angel.
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010