Am I too paranoid? (Raising a girl quest)

I am strict with our daughter I think. I don't allow cursing in front of her, crap TV, crap music or anything vulgar or offensive around her. I was at our friend's house today bc she just had a baby. When we walked in the TV was on mute. When her SO came home he turned the volume up and there was cursing and guns etc. My daughter right away looked at the TV bc she has NEVER even seen a gun. She will be 2 in May. I politely asked him if he minded changing the channel. He did change it. Obviously they allow that in their house which is their business. He also curses A LOT. I don't mind it when my daughter isn't around but I feel like me being so strict is ruining some of my friendships. I mean should I just relax and let a few things slide or stick to my guns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I see nothing wrong at all with what you're doing! This world would be a much better place if more parent's had rules and boundaries like you do. I don't even allowing cursing in front of my 8 month old! Haha. Young children don't need to be exposed to things of that nature. It sets a bad example...for both boys and girls! Kids these days are shoved out into the real world soooo early. They hear bad words all the time, see people having sex, doing drugs, and being murdered on tv and movies, etc. and then their parents wonder why the hell they are out of control! I definitely think you should stick to your guns. And if someone stops being your "friend" because of your parenting style, then they obviously weren't your true friend in the first place.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Just a little..You cant keep her in a bubble..
    AND HOW rude of you to go into some ones home and ask them to change the channel because you dont like it...What you do in your home is different..you shouldnt expect others to do so...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• In my opinion things like that to an extent is fine so long as your daughter knows it isn't appropriate to repeat those things. There's downsides to being too protective as well. There's of course certain things I don't allow my children, ages 5 and 4, to watch but they've seen gun fights and they know it's all fake. They have no interest in guns, or I should say they have no interest in real guns. I also don't mind cursing. I cuss a lot. My 5 year old knows what curse words are and never repeats them, my 4 year old slips up once in awhile but immediately apologizes and knows she isn't suppose to repeat it.

Everyone has a right to raise their child how they see fit. My friends and I don't always agree on things when it comes to our children and we somehow work out a compromise and we're always respectful of each other.
    Anonymous

• I think it's perfectly fine asking friends to not cuss, or have gory films, around your small child.

After all, your kid is at an age where she is developing language, and an age where there isn't a clear distinction in their head between "pretend" and "real."

It's up to your friends to decide whether or not to honor your requests, but I think most sympathetic people would.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Haha! I guess you would let your kid watch that! lowlife! ryanlynn
    Anonymous

• I admire your will! Great mom! A very considerate and unselfish one.

I believe if you shelter TOO much you leave a huge gap of curiousness. My personal approach would be more, teaching why we don't do or allow this at home. That's not to say you don't explain this.

There's going to be a day and a time when you're not there to shelter, and she needs to know what to do in that instance... Just preparing her with the knowledge and tools.

Guns are so common now, I think kids will see them despite the lengths anyone goes to to hide them. However if this is your preference and style, then you're just fine in sticking with it. If a friend doesn't understand, that is unfortunate.

Keep up the good work. The only thing I can think to recommend is opening her up to a few things as she's ready and teaching... :D Good luck. You're not paranoid.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 9:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• At her age I see nothing wrong with you not wanting her to watch/hear that kind of thing. Would you let your little boy watch or hear that kind of thing?

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• ryalyn... it's not wrong of her to ask if they change the channel, she's not demanding it! She can leave if they don't want to change it. It's FAR from rude for asking, or suggesting.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 9:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Excuse me? HOW am I a lowlife? My children DO NOT watch violent shows.BUT it wouldn't KILL YOU to pick up your child and take her or distract her with something else.Maybe paying attention to her.I know I take my children to another room because IM NOT FREAKIN LAZY.So IMO its rude to tell someone to change the channel in a home they pay for..NOT you.. YOU ASKED the freakin QUESTION..Am I too paranoid?Not my fault your an uptight paranoid freak

So again HOW am I a lowlife? Because I dont agree with you? you freakin psycho
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• She is 2? No that's not too strict for a 2 year old. You're doing fine don't worry. Does your friend have children that young? If not I'm sure he just didn't really think about the little one being around. (In that case they shouldn't be offended) If they do have young children and allow them to hear and she that stuff, well I guess they'll just have to respect your parenting style even though it's different than thiers.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2010