Why does this bother me so much?

Every time my in-laws have my daughter, they always come back with some story that someone thought my daughter was THEIR daughter. First of all, I'm 31, so I'm not even a young mother. Second of all, they are 60+ years old. Why do they always feel the need to tell me this anyway? It cracks me up that they honestly think someone would actually believe that they have a toddler (not even 2 yet). I'm sure that whoever said this was just humoring them or they're just telling me a story. (I have caught them in lies before). Would this annoy you? Of course I didn't say anything to them, but it is just aggravating to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anon You're a total Moron. Look at the title to this question: Why does this bother me so much?

You don't read too well do you?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• In this day and age I never assume that a child is someone's grandchild. I have a friend who is 47 and her husband is 71 and they have a 2yo and I have seen many in their 50's and 60's with adopted children (under the age of 5). I am 43 and I have a grandchild who is older than their child. He IS often mistaken for my son. It is very possible that people ddo mistake your child for theirs simple because nowadays you can't just assume that older parents are the grandparents. Why would it bother you so much?
    Anonymous

• Well, are you asking me to answer the very question I asked? Duh Anyway, they definitely look in their 60s. Do they really give babies to people in their 60s (adopting). I mean, they will be 80 before she graduates from high school. No one in their right mind would believe that this woman just gave birth. They try to say she looks like them (she doesn't either, she looks just like me when I was little, like my clone). They never had a daughter, so it's like they want her to be theirs. They even tried to say that they want her to go to a certain school for their religion. I was like "UMMM, my kid, my decision--oh and I'm not even the same religion as them. Some nerve these people have.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure people are just being polite. It's much nicer to say, "Is that your child?" then "Is that your grandchild?" because if you're wrong, you look bad. The vice versa makes you look like a jerk. I'd roll my eyes at their little stories and give a fake laugh. ; )

I, on the other hand, have a hard time convincing people that my son is not my brother. Um...I'm in my 20s. He's 2. Really? I had someone have the nerve to tell me I look like I'm still in high school. I don't take that as a compliment...
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Grow up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I can see why that would bother you. It would definitely annoy me. Its like shes bragging about something......or maybe she is having a hard time dealing with being sixty and being seen with a baby and people thinking its hers makes her feel young......or she tells you that story to make herself feel young. My mom use to tell me the same story when my son was 1-3 years old but she was in her early 30's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Your ? was.... Would this annoy you? NOT Why would it bother you so much?

You sound childish. It's YOUR issue that this bothers you. It sounds like jealousy IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• It would not annoy me. The TRUTH needs no defense! My DS has been claiming my oldest son, as hers, since I gave birth to him at age 22! Even if someone older claimed my child as theirs, again, the TRUTH needs no defense. The fact that it aggravates you is a red flag that you've got some unresolved insecurity issues. Get help now, before your issues grow bigger or are misdirected.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• What do you mean the truth needs no defense. ITS NOT THE TRUTH GENIUS. She's not their kid. Wow, people on here are really stupid aren't they?
    Anonymous

• You're jealous and overbearing.
    Anonymous