My ex-mother n law who I haven't spoken or seen in 2 years sent me a birthday gift.

What do I put inside the thank you card? Her son and I have been divorced for almost a year, and seperated for almost 2 years. My ex's father has always reached out to me, but his mom never spoke to me or anyone for that matter. She just kept to herself and she never once reached out to me during my divorce. So, this is very awkward for me and my mom says do not send her a thank you note, but am doing so out of respect since she is close with my son (her grandson).

Pls help me with this awkwardness:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• What was the gift? I would send it and just write thank you for the gift I loved it!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Just say what you feel. A simple thank you for the ___________. Would be good enough.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i'd write her a thank you card too... just say,
    Mrs. XXXXX.
    thank you very much for the birthday gift. I do appreciate it, and I am glad that I was remembered on my birthday. I will thoroughly enjoy this. Thank you again.

take care,
    your name here

lol or if she's close with your DS- does she see you on a regular basis? if so, maybe you can verbally thank her for the gift.

and send it.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 9:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree, you absolutely should send her a Thank you note. Just let it be simple. Say thank you and it's lovely or if its some kind of appliance say that its really come in handy. My husband and I were married for six years, during that whole time his grandmother NEVER liked me and only spoke to me just enough to not seem rude at family gatherings, then my husband and I split and all of a sudden she likes me and is on my side, and agrees that my ex is at fault for the divorce...it's been two years and I still feel weird when she calls or invites me out to lunch or invites me and the kids to go swim at her place during the summer - just yesterday she said this summer I should bring my kids (her 3 grandkids, plus my new baby) and my fiance with me to her house when the pool is ready! A part of me wants to just because it would be awesome if my ex showed up and he saw my happiness.(yes i'm still slightly bitter over his cheating)
    Anonymous

• I agree with all the pps, just keep it simple write a very basic thank you note. If she really wants to open back up comunications with you she will make another move as long as you didn't reject her first (the gift) Just a simple thank you will be enough to show her that you are willing to talk to her.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Just send her a simple thank you card. If you are wondering so much why she didn't reach out to you during the divorce, ASK her why. Maybe she wanted to give you the respect and time to deal with it without having to deal with the soon to be ex mil. BTW, your mom is way off base to tell you not to send a thank you card. You should always send a thank you card, no matter who sent the gift. To do otherwise would be extremely rude.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree with the others, send her a nice note or card thanking her for remembering your birthday and sending a gift.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Hate to say it, but does he have a new woman in his life that she dislikes? That may be the reasoning or maybe she is just realizing how much she misses you.
    I would definitely write a thank you not but be breif.
    Hey! Just wanted to thank you for the wonderful gift! I am sure it will be put to good use. It was nice to hear from you!
    Thanks again,
    ___________
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2010