help please fast!

ok i had my son may 2009. I got the mirena IUD June 15,2009. I havent had a period since the bleeding after-birth stuff. My dr said it was normal that the IUD would slow down or stop my period, im not worried about that, but i was wondering, even though im not having an actual period & bleeding, do i still ovulate?? Ive heard of girls still getting pregnant with the IUD but i dunno if they had periods or not

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get pregnant but the IUD is made to terminate the pregnancy.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 9:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If she isn't ovulating she CANNOT get pregnant. That being said the MIrena can halt ovulation and since you are not having a period I would guess you probably are not ovulating. The Paragard has no hormones and cannot halt ovulation. Oh and the IUD doesn't terminate pregnancies. It works by making it hostile in the uterus so the fertilized egg cannot implant and/or the sperm cannot survive to fertilize the egg. According to my dictionary you are pregnant when the fertilized egg implants not before.
    Anonymous

• I've known woman on mirena get pregnant w/o having a period..It's not very likely but DOES happen..
    Anonymous

• Anon, just shut it. Yes you CAN get pregnant on IUD.
    I have known a couple who have.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Mirena slowly releases very small amounts of the hormone into your uterus. It can work in many ways like it can
    Thicken cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering your uterus, Inhibit sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg,Make the lining of your uterus thin, Mirena may stop the release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases. Most likely the above actions work together to prevent pregnancy.
    HayleyRondia

Answer by HayleyRondia at 12:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• ashley, you can get pregnant but its rare to carry past a certain point and you have to get the IUD taken out immediately if you are pregnant. have you taken tests?
    adamsmommy0103

Answer by adamsmommy0103 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• yes i took a test last night, not pregnant!!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2010