Need help with 5 Month olds night waking!

My DD just turned 5 months today. About 6 weeks ago she started sleeping through the night with 1 waking at about 3 am. I would go in her room & simply give her her pacifier or just kind of hush her back to sleep w/o ever picking her up or anything like that. Then she started doing this thing where she kicks her legs straight up in the air & its almost like she can't stop & it stops her from sleeping. I started putting her in her Nap Nappy & buckling her in & putting a blanket around her legs & she'd fall back asleep right away. Now shes strong enough to kick the blanket off & its becoming a nightmare to get her back to sleep. I can't put her on her stomach because she immediately starts trying to crawl or frustrated trying to flip back over, which she doesn't know how to do yet. I'm up for an hour with a screaming child who is tired but can't go back to sleep because of this leg kicking thing. Any suggestions?! Help please.

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 9:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you feed her when she wakes?
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 10:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• She might be hungry. At 5 months they are usually still waking up for a night feeding.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My daughter went back and forth with sleeping through the night till she was 13 months old. Just try giving her a bottle. At 5 months she's probably hungry.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I've tried to feed her numerous times, but she is not hungry. I spoke to her pediatrician and he confirmed that at 5 months, eating 6-7 oz at each feeding during the day she is eating plenty and shouldn't be hungry during the middle of the night. I tried anyway, but he was right - shes not hungry. I know for sure its this leg kicking reflex. its litterally like her legs are a board that both snap up at the same time. Almost like the moro reflex most newborns and infants have, although instead of her arms flayling (sp) like they do with the moro reflex its her legs...
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 10:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I know what you are talking about with the legs kicking. My daughter's legs do this, too, but fortunately it doesn't keep her awake. My MIL made receiving blankets that are way bigger than the ones you get at the store. I swaddle her from the armpits down (she likes her hands up around her head) and then it's much harder for her to kick the blankets off. This seems to settle her for going to sleep at night and going back to sleep after her one feeding in the middle of the night. Although, now she can roll around so if she isn't put into her crib when she's just at the verge of falling asleep, she rolls around and then the blanket does come off. If it's not one thing, it's another with these silly babies. :)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have a 5 month old girl. She is so active and does a similar thing, but with her arms and legs. I put her in one of those sleepers... its sort of like a sleeping bag for baby's, so they dont need blankets. Then I tuck a blanket over just her legs and tuck the sides under the matress. It holds her legs still. She eventually starts wiggling and that blanket come loose but it stops her from kicking all the way up. You can also try letting her sleep on her side. My little girl loves this. If she can roll, its safe to put her on her side now. Good luck! your so lucky your baby was sleeping through the night! I hope it goes back to that quickly for you.
    HayleyRondia

Answer by HayleyRondia at 12:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Try getting a wearable blanket..

I don't recommend putting a large blanket over her legs and tucking it under the mattress .. If she wiggles around she could get it over her face or get tangled in it and suffocate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2010