Inviting guests over for 1st Birthday?

Am I the only one who doesn't want to have visitors over for my son's first birthday? I mean, he isn't going to participate or enjoy a party, and isn't going to notice if there are guests or not. The only people that would be able to come are unpleasant to me, and I really just want to spend the day as a family, doing things that my son would have fun doing. How do I break this to other people? Is there a nice way for me to say that I want this day to myself, and therefore they can only be over for about a half an hour, or not at all?

MrsJacqueline

Asked by MrsJacqueline at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• plan a trip, we are celebrating so and sos first birthday by going to the ___________ (zoo, childrens museum etc) that way its an intimate affair and people get the hint without you having to say i would prefer to not have you as a part of our sons bday PLUS your one year old would LOVE a trip to a zoo or pool or beach etc
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It is your son, you can do what you want. If any one asks you can just tell them we are having a small celebration with just our family. For my first son's first birthday it was just Mom, Dad, baby and Grandma and Grandpa who live near us and we see almost every day. It was perfect. We had dinner, he opened 2 presents, and we had cup cakes. I totally agree that having a bunch of people over is not for the baby. Some people really like parties and that works for them. I tend to stick with the smaller stuff.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Here's the thing though: the people I don't want over are my in-laws. My MIL is really rude to me, and I really don't feel like I should have to deal with it on that day. So far, I've shared every holiday and the day my LO was born with other people, and I just want this one to myself.
    MrsJacqueline

Answer by MrsJacqueline at 12:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Tell her that you aren't doing a party, and make sure your husband informs her that you're spending the day as a family. There is nothing wrong with that!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2010