leveling a layered cake, need help!

I am trying to make a cake for Easter tomorrow, a new recipe, and first time making a layered cake. How do I level it right without one of those fancy levelers? I tried just a knife earlier, didn't work out quite right. My mom suggested taking a string of dental floss and slicing it that way? And then how do you ice the rough edge without dragging crumbs off of it. Is it better to do it warm, so the icing melts, or cooled off so the cake doesn't tear so easily. I am not really a baking person, and I need help!

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 10:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My grandmother put one layer of the cake upside down on a plate so that the other layer would sit flat on the bottom of the first layer (if that makes sense). It made it level.
    Anonymous

• Take toothpicks, decide how thick the cake will need to be to make it level, cut them to that lenght, now make sure that the cake is on a flat surface with the side that was touching to pan down, that will be the top of your cake once it is level. Place the toothpicks spread thoughout the cake, they are your gides, take a long knife long enough to reach across the cake, cut across the cake at the same level as the toothpicks, flip your cake over put the crumby side down against you cake board, do the same to the other level. If you don't like this method I can tell you how to make a leveler, just let me know..
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I do the upside down thing too.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i do the upside down thing three, ;P the trick with icing is cold cake and warm frosting and never pull back put a large dallop of icing in the center of the cake and only using outward strokes smooth it towards the outward edge, frosting is also great for making a cake "appear" level
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• You have to use a very sharp knife that goes all the way across the cake to level it that way. To frost it you frost a very thin layer of frosting then stick the cake in the freezer and after a few minutes you take it out and the crumbs won't move as you are frosting it. I usually just flip the bottom layer over though. I can never get it level if I try it the other way.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I know this is probably too late to help, but I use a long serrated knife like a bread knife. Put the cake back in the pan and use the edges of the pan to "guide" the knife and help keep it level. Freeze the cake to prevent crumbs on the sides, but don't frost the cut tops. Every cake that I level is flipped upside down on the plate so the cut edge is on the plate and not the top. You can also thin the icing (this won't work with canned icing) and put a thin coat on the whole cake, then let it harden or crust. You can then apply your frosting. I place a dollop of frosting on the cake, then use an icing spatula to spread it out. Always work from the frosting out, pushing the frosting ahead of the knife.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2010