My husband just gave our son out of date milk that was turning sour!!!

He didn't know it was out of date, but I had smelled it yesterday and it was fine and my son stayed the night with his grandparents last night...well when my son woke up from his nap my husband fixed him a cup of milk, not even thinking to smell it. He drank it at 6pm or so..well I went to fix my son a cup right before he went to bed (10pm) and I smelled it and it had a sour smell....should I worry or do you think he is okay? He didn't seem to be bothered by it in the 4 hour span of time...I am just concerned now. He is 15 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he'll be fine.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• He should be alright. Just keep an eye out for a sour tummy but it should be ok.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Yeah he'll be ok

Answer by admckenzie at 11:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• ok if u smeld it and it was ifiy why take a chance throw it away when in dobt throw it out...and knowing he had some at 6pm and then later u fixed him a cup im hopeing not with the same milk..because then why bother asking if u think he will be ok if u really are concerned then u wouldnt give it to him..throw it out if its sour..also if it is it will give him a sour tummy and he will feel like poop and throw up and u get to stay up all night calming him and cleaning up throw up..so could be a sleepless night for u and him..throw the milk out and please dont give him anymore.. just buy a new one or give him water. but i hope he dosent get sick.
    Anonymous

• drinking sour milks isn't so much harmful as it is nasty
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• as long as it wasent chunky u should be good. i also agree with aliishott2...shouldnt be harmful just nasty..:)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• OP here: Anon: 11;53 I did not say it smelled bad when it was out of date.it was totally fine. I didn't know it was soured when my husband gave it to him and no i did not give him any of the sour milk...gave him some of our 2%. Thanks everyone I was just a bit concerned.
    Anonymous

• I think he will be fine. I would just keep an eye out on him. Even if it was sour it doesn't mean that it will make him sick. Some cultures only drink milk after it has turned sour. Gross but true. I read about it in Psychology while talking about cultural diversity.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I did this to my son twice.. It turned out the gas station was switching the dates on the milk so DH bought sour milk and didnt even know it. DS never got sick he had about 2 sippys out of it. We stopped buying milk from there when it happened the second time.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• OP Kudos for deciphering that comment. It fried my brain LOL!

If you haven't noticed anything in the hours since he drank it then he should be fine. You may notice a runny stool in the morning if it was really sour but he should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2010