Why is it that older people...

ALWAYS suggest to drink castor oil to have a baby...what the heck is it for anyway?! And does it "work" Ive heard nothing really WORKS to push labor..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had to take it once because I was having a lower GI x-ray series down, it will clean you out pretty quick. I also made me vomit worse then the flu ever did (or being hungover either) It's something they used to use even back in the late 1800's but I think there are still lots of "old people" that will still think it's good to use. I can remember my dad talking about all the things his mother used goose fat for. He was born in the early 30's, some of the old home remedies are sort of funny when you read about them now. Although some of them still work, I heard one once that gargling with whiskey will get rid of a cold. I can see that, all that alcohol will sure kill off some germs in your throat. Plus I guess if you end up drinking some of it, you might not care you're sick anyway. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I can't remember what it's for, but I was told that years ago when I had my boys. It didn't work, and it made me sick. Ask your doctor before you try something like that.....but I'll warn you it tastes terrible!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I have heard that it taste terrible and gives you diarrhea. I thought Castor oil was used on calluses?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think it's for constipation and when you drink it, it softens the stools. I think....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I asked my Dr. about it when I was overdue and he said "basically it gives you diarrhea so bad that all of the pooping and cramping sends you into labor, which is not fun for you or the baby."
    I just stuck it out and waited until my baby was ready 2 weeks later than planned! Doesnt sound like a fun way to welcome a LO into the world to me....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• "Castor oil, when ingested, triggers cramping in the bowel (making it an effective laxative). Thus, it is intended that such cramping extend to the uterus. In an overdue pregnancy in which the mother's cervix is already effacing and partially dilated, this cramping can lead to labor contractions. The irregular, painful contractions of castor-oil-induced labor can be stressful on the mother and fetus.[citation needed] It also leaves the laboring woman quite dehydrated as a result of the vomiting and diarrhea which result when the recommended dose of castor oil for labor induction is taken"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Its to help you poop. It helped me and I didnt have to worry about pooing while I was having DS because I was already all cleaned out lol. It does taste really bad tho and its really really thick
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My mom used it for two babies. It worked for her, and as PP said, it cleaned her out so she didn't poop when she delivered. But they say it will only work if your bodies ready, so it doesn't work for everyone. My mom was 3 weeks overdue when it worked for her!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I have never heard of an older person suggesting it. It is mostly the younger ones on here. My grandmother even says it is a stupid thing to do.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2010