Are there any mom's on here....

that won't allow there children to participate in a fun event if that child is grounded?

Like the child did something and it was agreed between the child 13 years old and parents that he would be grounded for 3 days and today was the 3rd day and the kid was not be able to participate in coloring Easter eggs.
Tomorrow he will be off grounded and participate in Easter festivities with the family church, BBQ..etc......my sis did this and I don't agree. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Teaches kids that you have to behave everyday...not just when "Santas coming"...sucks to watch kids not participate...but a parent that constantly folds so their kids don't feel left out isn't accomplishing anything!!! I bed he wont do the same thing again!!! Its hard to stick to punishments but very nec.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with her. The point of being punished or grounded is that you did something bad so you dont get the privileges of doing something fun. Whats the point of being grounded if you still get to do whatever you want. At least he will e participating in Easter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Being grounded (to me, and to my parents while I was growing up) means no fun at all during that time period. But I think if you ground your kids over a holiday, you shouldn't keep them from participating in family traditions and spending time with your family. That's just mean.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I don't do long period groundings but even if I did I wouldn't keep them from doing things with thier family members on a holiday that is just mean.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• when we were grounded it just meant that we couldnt go anywhere or talk on the phone, etc. Save for the computer and TV, we were allowed access to our home. I would never ground my son from a family tradition or make him feel left out when the ENTIRE family is joining in on the fun. That is cruel.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• not letting the child color easter eggs is kinda rude. not that too many 13 yr olds want to color eggs. but thats more of a tradition than anything else.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with her. if he is grounded and that is part of his discipline then that's that. It sounds like he agreed to it anyways so it was partly his choice.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• It's the only way they will learn.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:49 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with her. Kids are capable of having self control. If they choose to do something wrong, a 13-year-old is old enough to know there will be consequences. If you don't follow through, you just teach them they aren't responsible for what they did. It's tough luck, but I bet next year he will behave better and color easter eggs to his hearts content.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Ummm isn't that the whole point of being grounded? Learning your lesson because if fun things were happening and you weren't allowed to take part? So next time they are thinking of disobeying they will go "Maybe I shouldn't do this or I'll be grounded again and miss out on stuff"?

For minor things like Easter celebrations I would definitely not allow my child to take part. Depending on what they did and what the potentially fun even was I would weigh pros and cons and how much my kid wants to take part in whatever is happening.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2010