Epidural Question

With my first i got an epidural..and i couldnt feel my contractions or anything, well then we had to go get an emergency C sec. so they moved my epidural up..but thinking about how numb I was when it was first placed, how can you feel enough to push?! My legs tingled and everything, Never really knew when my contractions were going on..lol..i was pretty high....was it like that for everybody? Im trying to figure out how im going to have a successful VBAC..but im def. wanting medication!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was all the way numb. They told me when to push and I could feel DS pushing down and I just HAD to push. Your body will tell you and you can still feel when the baby wants out lol.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I had a very strong epidural with my son and was COMPLETELY numb. But believe me, you'll know when to push- point one, you'll be watching your contractions move the baby's heart rate on the monitor...and point two, the easiest-your dr/nurse will tell you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• i had and epidural, and i kept having a sensation to push. my epidural was terrible because i could still feel everything..
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Good luck with your VBAC

but i do hope you realize that you probably ended up with a csection because of the epi.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I got the c-section cuz the cord was around his neck!! It was causing his heart rate to do crazy things for two days...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Thanks guys!!!! So ready for this to be over..now im nervous and anxious!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• the cord around the neck is not typically a reason for a c-section. a cord around the neck is actually pretty normal. And crazy heart rates could have been caused due to your emotions of anxiety or any other number of things.

Try reading Pushed by Jennifer Block
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I had an epidural for all three.

they showed me how to control it so I could feel the PRESSURE, but not the PAIN.

as soon as it came time to push I could feel it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If you want to have a VBAC, you should not allow yourself to be induced (the use of pitocin is associated with a significantly increased risk of uterine rupture), nor should you accept an epidural, because the medication inhibits you from recognizing when something may be going wrong with your body. To have a sucessful VBAC, you need to be fully in control of your body and drugsg will take that control away.
    Look and see if there's an ICAN chapter in your area. They can help you with research and support.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I had an epidural AND what I consider a "succesful" VBAC. If they do it right you can still feel a little pressure, the nurses are normally really good about helping you know when to push also. And I know it sounds kinda gross, but if you think about it like "I need to push like I'm having a bowel movement" you might not be able to FEEL it but you will be pushing the right way. It worked for me anyhow... So good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010