Right or Wrong?

Europe's First Burqa Ban

Defying the rule could lead to nominal fines of $20 to $35 or possible imprisonment for up to seven days. Proponents say they're targeting the burqa not because of its religious symbolism or even because it is widely seen in the West as a sign of male oppression, but rather for safety reasons: they say that people who hide their faces represent a security risk. In that light, the law also seeks to target potentially violent demonstrators who cover their faces, backers say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100403/wl_time/08599197735000

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My first thought is wrong, but then I would have to know more. I would have to know are there enough cases to support this in which the burka has been a security risk? If so, I think it's fair.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:49 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• you can't walk into any sort of bank or other financial institution even with sunglasses or a hat on let alone a burqa. it's an issue of safety and i support it.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• WHAT??Not in that tolerant European society? The one we want to emulate.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Apparently they aren't as tolerant as I would have hoped.

I don't know where you live, flaggot, but all the banks I've been in allow hats and sunglasses. And we aren't talking just banks here, we are talking about people out and about on the streets, going about their lives.

Ordinary face make-up can change someone's appearance, as can wigs and Halloween costumes. I wonder if those are banned too?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I live in phoenix, AZ and in banks the costumes are banned too yes. On the topic of costumes, here in phoenix on and around halloween businesses put up signs that convey the message that if you're in a costume take it off or you can't enter.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2010