How do I know??? (A Question For Work At Home Ladies)

I am just wondering, how do I know if a work at home opportunity is a scam or not? My husband was recently permanently laid off when the company he worked for went under, and we need to get jobs quick. The thing is that no one is hiring around here, so I've been looking into working at home as a possible option. Is there a good site I can look up that will help me out? Any info is welcome. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• ...Most people who join Melaeuca quit quickly because they can't find any other suckers to join and spend that much on products they could make themselves for under $10 (instead of $70) and the products they are forced to buy pile up too quickly.

Keep hitting the pavement in searching for a job...I know it's tough right now and that a lot of people are fighting even for part time work thesedays, but as long as he is open to new positions and keeps applying he will find something. Anything from landscaping, roofing, painting, whether it's for an existing company or he starts his own doing a variety of things like that!

My DH and I started a carpet cleaning biz almost 2 years ago. It was a $5,000 investment for the equipment, but we lease to own for $250 a month and we did over $32,000 last year and look to double that this year.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I'm very sorry to hear about your DH being laid off. My DH was laid off in March '09. I know what you're going through. I started working from home to help us out. Know that you should never pay for a job, however business usually have some kind of start up cost. There are many groups on this site that have ideas on working from home, jobs and businesses. I actually found my business from another Mom on here. :-) I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. Joining Internet CEO Moms is one of the best decisions I have made for my family and myself.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms

Check my website out:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• you best bet is to be specific about the type of work and search google, any place asking for money is a scam. I do telemarketing from home and the pay is amazing plus I get to stay with my daughter
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 3:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Although I have a Blog dedicated to work at home IDEAS and such, you still need to do lots of research.   If you find something you are interested in, do massive research, including asking questions on forums and sites like this.  Also, most of my stuff is geared towards ideas that you can start and do for easily with the resources you have available to you.   Check it out in my Blog:

Mavi's Home Work

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I work at home i got pics of my checks to prove it if your intrested msg me and i can get you started alls you have to do is fill out offers and surveys!
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 10:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• There are a number of ways to check up on a company. First there are options like RipoffReport.com and BBB.org. By searching these you will be able to see if the company is a scam, the complaints against them, and more importantly how they deal with those complaints...

I would also ask any rep you speak to for proof that they are legit. Don't ask for checks because that's a bit personal, but any legit company will hold memberships with organizations such as the DSA or DSWA, and/or similar organizations. Also make sure you ask where the main company offices are and if there is a way to contact them. Many scams will either have an address outside the US (although this doesn't automatically mean scam), or they will have a phantom address which does not actually exists.

If a rep does not have this information off hand they should be able to get it.

www.ThisIsAP.com
    http://howyoucanchangeyourlife.blogspot.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• This is what I do from home.
    www.scentsy.com/my2scents

Happy to help with details or questions. Have a great Easter!!
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Honestly, completely different from those posting their opportunities I would say DON'T do a direct sales company right now. There are start up costs involved, not just a kit, but pretty much the little you will make you have to put right back into advertising like crazy and working like a dog to get the kind of sales you need to be able to pay bills and support yourself. In fact, most spend more than they make.

Even those who start new businesses.....anyone will tell you that you should have a years worth of expenses in your savings to pay to live because you won't make a profit for at least a year.

And well the first responder, the CEO Moms, is Melaleuca. Don't fall for it. Melaleuca is when you join and agree to buy $70 worth of "natural" cleaning, skin care or makeup products for YOURSELF each month and in exchange you hound everyone you know to join and do the same, and when they do you earn a commission...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group

Answer by rkoloms at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with Mom2Jack. Starting a home business with a direct sales company (such as Melaleuca) can be costly if you're not prepared for that. Completing offers and doing surveys (I see this answer as well) isn't going to get you where you need to be either. Just apply, apply, apply or send out your resume to as many places as you can. Being that you're in a small town that's not hiring, I would suggest looking into telecommute positions. www.wahm.com and www.workathomenoscams.com have pretty decent leads for this type of work. Are there any temp agencies near your town? You could try those as well.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help looking.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 11:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2010