Am I think only one?

Am I the only one that watches footage of conflicts like WWII and think "Who the HECK walks around during a gunfight or bombing raid with a video camera?? Especially the old footage because a video camera back then was a bulky heavy piece of equipment.

I just think it's really weird some of the stuff they stood and taped while people ran around on fire and soldiers fell dead from gunshots all around them....?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Have you watched any movies or specials on the History channel about WWII, WWI, Vietnam, etc? They sent journalists over there, it was part of their job. Just like journalists today go to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Darfur, and other areas where there are serious instabilities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Yeah it is kinda odd, but then again for some of them, that was their job.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 4:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Also, have you seen Full Metal Jacket? The military sometimes has it's own "journalists" and "photographers" as well. (They can also fight which helps.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I don't think it's weird. In fact, I'm grateful that the journalists record the "real" truth for us to see exactly how our tax dollars are being spent and how our men are dying.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Just for your continued education, there was no such thing as a video camera back then, they used the old fashioned movie cameras that were even bigger than the old video cams.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You really believe what the journalists tell us is the "real" truth? OMG that is the FUNNIEST thing I have read today. Have you talked to a SOLDIER, MARINE, SAILOR, or AIRMAN? THOSE ARE THE ONES WHO TELL IT LIKE IT IS, not journalists that have an AGENDA!

You need to get your head out of the sand!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Ya that's what I meant. Must have been a bitch to lug around....
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 7:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You can watch FOX and see them doing that today. It's probably an assignment that many of them really like. Sure it's dangerous but it's their job. I doubt they would be there if they didn't want to be. It's probably like extreme sports LOL I think people are crazy to jump off bridges but when the adrenaline gets pumping thats all some people need.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• During World War 2 camera men were in the military and if the government called on them and sometimes of thier own free will they went someone has to capture history.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• They were war correspondants. Some worked for "Stars and Stripes" others worked for news organizations, while others were free lance. Many were killed in action. Some took up arms and fought along side the troops when needed. The document the conflict. If they didn't, there wouldn't be the famous picture of the raising of the flag a Iwo Gima.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2010