hey ladies got a motherinlaw question.how to tell if motherinlaw geniunly likes you or just puts up with you.my motherinlaw always trys to find fault in what i do for her son.she brings medicine and juice when hes sick an i can take care of that.offers to wash clothes .

she just like trys to outdo what iam doing for him.i got mad at him and didnt get laundry and she brings it

sexybutter

Asked by sexybutter at 6:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• There comes a time for every parent when you have to step aside and let your child's spouse take the primary role in their life.  It sounds to me like your MIL has trouble letting go and stepping aside.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You married Ray and your MIL is Marie...I would talk to your DH first, explain your feelings. Make sure he is not telling tales to his mom first suck as, "Mom you do this so much better than my wife..." then talk with MIL with DH present or not your choice. As a MIL, I find it very hard to step aside. I think, "That is not the way I would do it". Then I realize my children are happy. Good luck!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The apron strings have not been cut yet it sounds like. Do not confront your MIL. Confront your DH about this.If he didn't allow it, this would not be an issue.

Answer by louise2 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Let her know that you appreciate the things that she does to 'help'. Call on her when there is something she can do to help. That will lessen the 'war' that may be going on inside of her. Talk with your husband. You don't mention how long you have been married but allow her to be part of the family without being the leading lady in your husbands heart/life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• well, I do think she needs to step aside in it all since her son is a adult.
    but, just to offer another side of it- are you sure she's actually finding fault? maybe's she's just trying to help. is she telling you flat out that you are doing a bad job, or is she just often trying to help?

Either way I'd ask your DH to have a talk with her and ask her to back off a bit.
    if he won't, then I'd talk to her yourself. Just please keep in mind that I'm sure she cares about you. My husband's grandmother seems to pick at me all the time, then later I heard that she said that I reminded her of herself at her age! so you never know- some MILs try to act a bit like they aren't crazy about the wife because they think it's the thing to do-
    hang in there- it's just laundry and a bit of meddling- common for a MIL in my opinion
    Anonymous

• he needs to decide who hes married to. you or his mama... good luck!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010