What else can explain St. Bernadette Soubirous preserved body?

I reading a really good book about Saint Bernadette Soubirous by Abbe Francois Trochu. St Bernadette was the girl who had visions of Mary at Lourdes. Whatever your beliefs this young girl had a really extraordinary but shot life.

She died and was buried in 1879. In 1909 her body was exhumed and was found to be in perfect condition, her body had not decomposed at all. Even her skin tone was unaffected by being buried for 30 years.

Obviously I believe this to be the work of God. Do others have other plausible explanations? Are there other instances of something like this being documented?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I caught the beginning of a 20/20 special the other day all about "miracles", and I wish I had seen more of it. I find things like that fascinating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I only saw the last 5 min of the 20/20 special, it looked really good, I wished I'd seen the rest of it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Actually, the face and hands are made out of wax. The wax was added because the face was "emaciated" when the body was first exhumed. Perhaps St. Bernadette's corpse should be moved to Madame Tussauds...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• There are a lot of things that can do that. One being covering a body in wax. Some cultures have found was. There also use to be a serial killer who had managed this feit. I'm sure examination of the body will eventually answer how. It could've also been something in the ground at the burial site.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Even covering part of a body with wax would not preserve the body, I would think, it would still decay from the inside out, because there is still flesh there. Why don't we just use wax to preserve bodies instead of embalming fluid ( which smells really awful) or plastination. She was also buried for 30 years before any wax was used. Also Catherine Labouré is also preserved and her body was found to be completely flexible when it was exhumed. Maybe there is something in the ground, I don't know.

I know Egyptians preserved their bodies, but these were deliberately preserved, these others didn't go through this same process.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• She was a catholic saint and nun. And deception and lies are an integral part of the religion. I remember, some time ago, seeing a program where a group of scientists examined and x-rayed the bodies several supposedly "incorruptible" saints. They found sutures and stuffing materials that were holding these dead bodies together and making them appear as though they had not decayed. I also saw a live video from the glass tomb of Bernadette and I can totally believe that wax was applied.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• In 1985 the Vatican sponsored a team of scientists in research of the 'Incorruptables'. They found the majority of the bodies *had*, in fact, been treated and/or embalmed after death. Particularly the ones from Italy. That the bodies had been treated with an emballing agent that helped cover the decompostion smell(thus the sweet scent when they were exhumed). Heck, they even found papers in old archives that detailed how members of the local congregation requested the bodies be embalmed so they could be venerated.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• She was a catholic saint and nun. And deception and lies are an integral part of the religion.

Witchqueen you had to put down the religion didn't you? What is wrong with you? Why so much anger? Whatever it is, it is a personal issue that is very deep inside and you need to work it out. Don't believe in God, but you can be a nice person and not so hostile.
    Anonymous

• This is not the only instance this happened. There was a saint that was exhumed and his tongue was not decomposed.
    Anonymous