Boy and girls sharing a bedroom ok?

We're looking for another apartment . Only thing is I don't know if each my kids should have their own bedroom - my DD is 4 and DS is 2. They've been sharing the bedroom since DS was born ( DH was 16 mo.)so they're pretty close but I'm still not sure as to when should they stop. Help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I found out the state frowns appon this.As soon as the babies are no longer babies they should have their own room.I must say after having the 5 kids I do understand why, you/ we like our kids close, BUT NOT that close..lol.. I would be looking at 3 bedrooms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think maybe I just don't want another room to worry about being clean, lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I really wouldn't care about what anyone else thinks. I shared a room with my brother when I was that age and I turned out just fine....

fine...

fine...

Really I am fine... Really... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be quite voices in my head!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• At that age, I think you are okay. i would look for seperate rooms for them when your oldest gets closer to 7 or 8. My SD and SS stopped sharing a room at our house (they still do at their mom's even though SO and I do not think they should) when SD was 7 almost 8 and SS was 4. they are now SD almost 10 and SS 6. When we moved and were able to give them their own room, it was really good timing. SD was starting to need more privacy.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My 3 yo will share a room with her new baby brother. We can't move until we build equity on this house, so they will be sharing for a few years. I am not worried about it. Lots of kids share rooms.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• my two younger onse share a room.. 2.5 and 1.5. I don't see that changing any time soon. Even if we had the room, my daughter likes being near her brother and him near her. As my daughter gets older she will obviously get her own room (our others are all boys), but we will just go with the flow and see when that time comes. I expect that at some point she will want her own room and will want more privacy, so we willjust play it by ear.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:43 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Mine are 4.5 and 2.5 and share. They pretty much just sleep in their room. We play in the living room. It's a small bedroom, and I'd like to be able for them to have their own rooms, but right now, it's not possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• They should be fine.

One of my oldest friends shared a room with her brother until she got married at 23! Her parents couldn't afford a larger apartment or a house, so they made do. What they did do was teach the children about modesty. The bedroom door was open at all times unless someone was changing. If the sibling was in the room and you wanted to change, the bathroom was were you went.

You make do until you can afford a larger place or think about sleeping in the living room with dh and let the other child have that room. You do what you need to do.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I dont't see what the state has to do with anything. My 7 year old stepdaughter and 6 year old step son share a room when they are with us. We don't have another bedroom. They are brother and sister, there is nothing wrong with them sharing a room. Now, when the girl starts to feel uncomfortable is when you should think about a room divider or something.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 15 mos apart. They shared a room with each other until my ds turned 7.

We're a military family, and I think they have a good rule as far as this goes - opposite sex can share a room until the oldest is 6. Same sex kids can share a room until the oldest is 10.

The reason our kids shared a room until our ds was 7 was because he turned 6 at one duty station (we had to sign a waiver saying we knew we could have a 3 bdrm, but we only were going to be there a few months while he was 6, so...) we moved then and lived in a 2 bdrm house off base, waiting for housing for just shy of a yr.

It was fine. I wouldn't have them share much past that point though.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010