What worked for you?

I have 3 children ages 5, 3 1/2, 23 months and a baby due in 2 weeks. My first son potty trained in a very short time when he was 2 1/2. I just told him that he was done with diapers and could not pee or poop in his big boy underwear and that was all it took for him. I know each child is different, but my problem is my 3 1/2 yr old has Down Syndrome and i need suggestions on what worked for you to potty train your SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD. He sometimes tells me after the fact that he has pooped or went pee, but that is very random. i know he will eventually catch on, but for now im just looking for creative suggestions you have used. Thank you for all your help and input.

team21

Asked by team21 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he watch TV? Can you let him go bare bottomed? Will he sit in a chair for any length of time?

If yes to all above... I used our potty seat as a "chair" and put it in front of the TV with my son's favorite movie. I got a small "table" that was the right height for in front of the chair and put snacks, books, small toys (whatever) on it. Then I had my son sit there and watch the movie. If he accidentally did something in the chair, I made a big deal about it (lots of praise plus M&M rewards)

Good Luck!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2010