Ants invading my kitchen!

I did not know that this apt had this prblem cause we moved in mid nov last year, but now that the weather is warm there are ants in my kitchen. Yes, I don't know where they come from all I know is that if there's one tiny crumb of anything anywhere, there's a huge trail of ants. It's impossible to keep the place spic & span with two toddlers. I told the landlord an he just told me to mop the place with clorox. I did and it only works for a like a day. Anyway, they're annoying and the landlord is being an ass about it ( not wanting to anything other than tell me to mop). What should I do? BTW, they're the tiny little ants not the reg ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ha! So I still had the link open(wanted to double check that it was cornmeal and it was, but it says grits work too) and reading into found that cinnamon will also repel them. Sprinkle it under and around the cabinets or across any paths they're using to get in and out.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The only thing that worked for me is the liquid bait traps. It's gross because you have ti let them live. They eat the bait, take it back to the nest and die. But within 2 days you won't have ants anymore. I would see them steaming over to the trap and I just wanted to smush them.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If you're worried about the kiddos and chemicals, cornmeal will do the same thing. They'll take it back to feed the nest and they can't digest it so it kills them off.

If you want them out get mint and put it around. Ants HATE mint and won't go anywhere near it. Use a spray made from essential oils if you don't want to use plants. Just as effective.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:44 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I love desert diva. Really. I have an ant issue too. Really old house. No way to seal up all the holes. I just sprinkled cinnamon all aound my kitchen. I am getting cornmeal tomorrow for the basement.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 1:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The cinnamon really works; I sprinkle it on the windowsills

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We just started having this problem too and my brother told me cornmeal did the trick because the ants take it back home and it really does kill 'em off. I see this was mentioned about too (confirmation, lol)! We're gonna find out!!! =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 1:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Using crystal moth balls works, too. But i love the cornmeal, mint and cinnamon. Natural is better!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2010