Is kool aid bad for kids?

Compared to sodas, punches, fruit cocktails, juice

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Well if you have to pick one I would say better than soda worse than juice. They all have way to much sugar but soda has carbonation and a lot of acid. Juice is best I think because at least it has some vitamins and kool aid is just flavored sugar water. It causes heartburn in some kids though. I just use milk and water for the most part though.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• It's the sugar that is bad for them, not the kool aid itself so it's up there with all the other drinks you mentioned that is full of sugar too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You can control the sugar if you buy the packets and use less sugar. Anything in moderation is ok. I would rather my child have regular sugar, so I stay away from anything with artifical sweetners. Even 100% fruit juice has a LOT of sugar in in and I have had many doctors say to use sparingly and kids should be drinking mainly water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• It's not bad for them if you don't add a ton of sugar.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The sugar free is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• YES!! It's all sugar, try the sugar free brand, otherwise there are many newer flavored drink mixes that are sugar free and contain less than 5 calories per serving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Yes it is. I don't even give my kid juice b/c of the sugar. Water and milk is all we drink in my house (well except coffee beer and wine, but not for the baby obviously! LOL)
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 11:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The food dye isn't good for anybody and way too much sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I'm sure it's great compared to some things and crap compared to others.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• It has no nutrional value, so no its not great. sodas, punches, fruit cocktails have little to non as well. Juice has some nutrional value, so its the best choice out of what is listed.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2010