14 months and not talking much-

my youngest niece is about 14 months old and is walking and playing a lot, seems very interested in getting read to her and LOVES music. But for what ever reason she's just not that vocal- not as much as the other little ones that I've known were-

for anyone else with kids around this age, how much do your kids talk? I imagine she'll get chatty in time, but I was wondering if it's really that unusual-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, it's pretty normal. Many kids have a verbal explosion right before they turn two.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• i wouldnt worry! 14 months old is still very young! Just keep encouraging her! Read to her, label everything (point to and describe the different colors and items in the grocery store, when outside point to the flowers and squirrel...etc.), sing playful interactive clapping songs like pat-a-a-cake and itsy bitsy spider, when you ask a question give her a chance to "answer" even if it is babble or a smile. My son is 23 months old and doesnt talk very much but yesterday and today he said two new words!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• OP- thanks- mom and dad seem a little concerned since she's considered small and all that. she looks fine to me, but I don't have too much to compare too since all other little ones in my family and her older sister were all huge for their age.

The 14 month old niece does talk a bit, but not terribly clearly. I think maybe we're all just a bit thrown because everything her sister said was clear right off the bat.

but she's very alert and you can tell she's smart. last night someone asked the table to "raise your hand if you heard ____ say this-"
    the 14 month old held her hand up too! it was so cute!
    Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• My youngest is 15 months and we just went to her well child visit. The ped said that the average 15-month-old has 5 words. That is just an average, so less or more is completely fine. My youngest is also a tiny little thing, but she has between 15 and 20 words. My oldest has always been on the high end of the charts and at 15 months also had between 15 and 20 words. So, a child being small has nothing to do w/ their verbal ability. I think your niece is fine.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 12:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• my son had maybe 5 words at 14 months. he's 20 months now and says about 100 words. something just clicked in the past couple of months and the words started spilling out.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• my son is 20months old and hardly says anything... mama, daddy, banana, bye bye thats about it... but he is very vocal in other ways... he speaks his "moon talk" as we call it, basically jibberish... haha...

its perfectly normal.. every child is different.... but if there are other social differences like not wanting to be held, lack of eye contact, so on and so forth, you may want to talk to your ped.
    BabyBoyMatthew

Answer by BabyBoyMatthew at 2:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My son had less than 20 words at 2, though he clearly understood what we said and could follow directions. He started talking in sentences at 2.5.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think more important than how many words or how clearly they speak, is how they understand you. As long as they are responsive to you and to the other people and things around them, I wouldn't worry.
    MrsAce5308

Answer by MrsAce5308 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The general milestone is to have in the range of 6 to 10 words by 18 months. These words won't necessarily be completely understandable but the child uses it consistently (i.e. "wa" means water"). It can take a while until they become understandable to people outside the immediate family. (My son was speech delayed so we've learned a lot about this stuff along the way..) 14 months is very young to be worrying at all about language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2010