Dilema: where should we live???

Ok, here's my dilema.
We currently live in Southern California which is SOOOOO expensive. We are barely scraping by financially right now.

We have been considering moving to a more affordable area such as Austin, Texas. We've heard a lot of great things about Austin from several people. The dilema is my sister lives in the east coast, my dad died 10 years ago and my mom is "alone" here in Southern California if we move. I know it would devastate her, especially since I had our baby and we would be "taking him away" from where she lives.

I feel like my heart is being pulled in two different directions...

Should we stay so we are close to my mom?....

or, should we move so we can afford to actually live (i.e. not have to work soooo much, maybe buy a house, can afford to have another baby, ...)

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Move. It is YOUR life, not your mother's, and she needs to realize that. She could always move with you, not move IN with you, but find like a senior community or something. If you don't move, one day you will regret it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with ANON. Its your life and you need to do what's best for your family(you, dh, and baby, not mom) if she doesn't want to be that far away from you then she should move. She would have done the same thing in your shoes. When you start a family of your own all that matters is that you do what you have to to make a good life for all of you.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 11:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• California is way too expensive. Come to Texas! Houses are way cheaper and yall will be able to live comfortable and your baby will be happy.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Will your mom be willing to move with you?

Answer by louise2 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Mother inlaw appartments have been around for a long, long time for this reason most of all.'You can have one built for a good price right over the garage, foundation is already formed and you just buy a property that you can build up on.My family has done it, my friend is doing it now.You'll all be happy.Good Luck~Happy Easter~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Come to Chicago! We have four seasons, and great public transit (you can live without cars)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2010