How can I get him completely out of diapers?

My son is just about 22 months old. We've been working on potty training for awhile now (as soon as he showed me he was ready) and we're just about there. I have the Gerber training pants on him throughout the day and he does really good about taking them off and going to the potty when he's got to go. We've just broken through with poo, so he goes to the potty on his own for that too. The only issue I have is night-time. He doesn't wet his diaper during the night, as far as I can tell, but he's completely soaked come morning before he's even really *awake* yet. Since the only diapers he's using are for night time, I don't have enough for a load every 2-3 days so I'm not getting them washed as often as I should. He does good about not wetting at nap time so I don't put him in a diaper then. I just want to be able to pack up the diapers and wait for number two.

ncbirdie

Asked by ncbirdie at 11:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first daughter was 100% day trained at 19 months, but she will be 3 in May and is still soaked in the morning. Some people recommend a more proactive "training" for night... like waking the child periodically and putting him on the potty. We tried it for a couple of weeks once (only because she was ASKING to be in underwear at night) but it really had no effect. We had a couple of dry nights when we woke her twice, but we were having to set an alarm for 3 am and she just wasn't waking on her own. Now, my second daughter is 18 months now, day trained, and she DOES stay dry at night most nights. To me that just shows how physiological differences effect night training abilities. Our big girl just doesn't hold it that long, and doesn't recognize the "need-to-go" feeling while sleeping. Some kids do fine waking up to go. If you really want to try waking him, you can, but otherwise I think you just have to wait it out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Like pp said, I am pretty sure that the night "training" is just a physiological thing. They have to be able to wake themselves up when they need to go and there really is not anything you can do about it besides wake them up to have them pee, which is training you, not them and it breaks up their sleep cycle so I don't know how good an idea that is. My 3-year-old has been day trained for a year now, but she still wakes up soaked 95% of the time. I'm not worried about it. She wears a pull-up at night and changes into underwear in the morning. No big deal.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 12:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If he consistently wakes up at a certain time, get him up half an hour before that and put him on the potty. If he's already wet at that point, you'll have to keep diapering him for night. I had one child who was diapered overnight til 4 years old because absolutely nothing worked - she needed more time for the nights to come for her.
    Anonymous

• 22 months is early for consistent day training - so very good for the both of you! Night training is often much harder. My 12 yr old is still having issues, where his brother and sister were completely night trained by 4, and 3. Each child is different. I would make sure that he goes right before he hits the sheets and right when he wakes up. Make sure that he knows that it is ok to get up to go potty (my youngest doesn't always because he likes to wait until I get him out of bed.) And just encourage him to wake up and go potty. He is young and will get it before you know it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• 1- I cloth diaper; they tend to potty train earlier because they consistantly feel the mess when its made vs. sposies that soak it up so fast they don't really get a chance to feel it (one reason why the "pull-ups" don't work as well for potty training).
    2- I had started working with him a lot earlier because I had decided to dabble in elimination communication, but just as he was getting the hang of it, we started going out in town a lot, so he was in diapers and then he got too active to pay attention.
    3- I really got into the full-on potty training when we were sitting at the dinner table and he started saying uh-oh and signing potty, so I took him to the potty and he peed. That showed me that he recognized the need to go and was able to communicate his need to get to the potty in time.
    There is no age that is "too early" to start potty training, just a lack of readiness in either parent or child.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Unless you try for at least a week going to straight underwear, I don't know. My 3 year old still wears a pull up at night and was day trained before 2. I have been hesitant, because I wet the bed until I was 7 or 8, and it certainly wasn't by choice, and my parents did everything, including making me sleep in wet sheets, embarassing me about it, and telling one of my friends towards the end of it. Obviously, those things are wrong. Anyway, I finally got this nasal spray, and it stopped overnight. After being on it a month, they took me off and I never had another problem. The doctor said (and my pediatrician has also said) that there can be a wiring thing with kids, and that until 4 you shouldn't stress too much. I don't like restricting fluids, because my kids go to bed an hour after dinner (this can't be changed, husband has an awkward schedule).
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2010