Why is it okay to say Happy Easter but not Merry Christmas?

I was just wondering. Why at some stores can employees not say Merry Christmas, they have to say happy holidays but come Easter time it is okay to say Happy Easter. Passover falls at the same time so maybe everyone should have to say happy spring holidays.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because nobody has thought of a clever term to skirt around the fact that it's Easter yet. Give it time....
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Easter will be next on these people's list of what you can-can't say- I say both- Happy Easter to you
    Anonymous

• Easter and Passover do not always happen at the same time. I personally will correct someone who wishes me a happy Easter. I will tell them that I do not celebrate it, that i am Jewish and that it is Passover. They say Happy Holiday at the store my sons work at it. That works for me.
    Anonymous

• I live where they say Merry Christmas. I'm not a believer and it doesn't bother me. Happy Easter doesn't bother me either. But don't get pissy if I wish you a Blessed Yule or a wonderful Oestara. I don't do it to be smartass. I do it because I think it's good for people to know other religions are celebrating at the same time.
    Anonymous