i cant handle it anymore

all my son has done since he was born is cry, everyone told me he would grow out of it around 3 months, he's 5 months now and still cries just as much. we've tried reflux medicine and everything else, i guess he is just a high needs baby but i can't handle it. i am starting to think it will be this way forever. maybe i am being punished, idk. i dont have anyone who can watch him for me, and my hubby works 12 hrs a day so i wont ask him. i almost need to be on meds just to stay sane. its getting to be way too much, i just want a happy little boy. what am i supposed to do? how am i supposed to handle this? i get so jealous at all my friends with easy babies, i don't even have any friends i can talk to about this because none of them have had high needs babies, and they dont get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the joys of Colic..My daughter cried ALL the time also.I had to stop breastfeeding because she cried so much..Then she was on formula and kinda got better.Still she would cry for about 4 hours at a time.it lasted til she was about 7 months old...I wanted to throw her.But i didnt.I just swaddled her and held her close and rocked her.Or I put her in her crib and sat in the hall way wondering what I was doing wrong.It will pass.I swear!
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Have you tried babywearing ?

My son whines a lot at me, but if i am holding him or "wearing" him he seems happier.

None of my kids have been "easy" either or very happy LOL All 3 have been serious babies and my two boys are "sensory avoiders" so they hate sounds and most fun baby things.
    Anonymous

• If the baby is now 5 months old I would call the doctor and see if their is anything wrong. This can be exasperating I know, I had a colicy baby, but 5 months seems to old for this type of colic, I would consult the doctor again even if you already have. Although it might sem right now that this will never go away, it will pass, hang in there mom!

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I agree with older, this seems like something more than colic. Have you tried soy? soy and prevacid changed my baby...like a miracle. and please know you are NOT the only mom who has felt this way-tho I know you feel so very alone. many moms have sat at 3am or 3pm thinking"omg what did I do" YOU ARE NOT ALONE. and if you rever ever feel like you could hurt your baby, please ask for help. maybe meds would help you b oth...whatever gets ya thru I think. what med was he on for the reflux, maybe it wasnt the right one or strong enough? just throwing stuff out there....come here, reach out, it will not hurt him to cry on his own for 5-10 mins...some babies even need that time alone. start with doc again, try new meds and formula, and yes dh works alot but you need him! tell him ask for help. email me if you need to, I will be online on and off today checking for you. :) (hugs)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• colic formula by simalic(purple can) works wonders!
    Anonymous

• I am sorry :( My 2nd baby was like that. She would just cry and cry and cry and it just seemed like nothing would make her happy. SHe hated being confined in anything like a swing or bouncy seat (even her car seat) Sometimes I had to just put her on the floor and she would just curl up and fall asleep! I am convinced she had colic but her pedi just kept saying she had an attitude!!! Really?? I am not so convinced. I wish I had some tips but honestly I am not sure how but we made it thru. It eventually became background noise, as bas as that sounds. She is 4 now and a very happy little girl :) Hang in there, cause it gets easier, and remember that if you believe its something more serious than talk to your pediatrician again.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If you're already on alimentum or soy you could get donated breast milk. It might help. Google milkshare.

I agree, 5 months is too old for colic. It has to be some sort of painful intolerance or another issue. I don't know your back story, but it could also be another food allergy (are you feeding solids??) keeping the crying going. Is it possible there was brain damage when baby was born? Is it possible the infant responded poorly to vaccinations? Is it possible baby has an attachment disorder (attachment disorders often show themselves as constant crying). Have you tried babywearing or skin to skin contact, like laying with you just in a bra and your baby with their tummy to your tummy and humming softly or rocking?
    Is it possible the baby has a gastro-intestinal disorder?

I am sorry, btw. I cannot imagine a baby crying non-stop from birth to 5 months.

Go get a second opinion from another doctor...

Anonymous

• And, just curious, Karabassett .. did you breast feed? If you did, did you eat a lot of milk products? If you did not, what sort of formula was your baby on?

I think you were right it was colic but did you ever try babywearing?
    Anonymous

• I did not breastfeed, I used Enfamil formula. I did not know about babywearing at the time, but I did hold her alot, she even slept with until she was a year old. I held and rocked her as much as I could. I tried to be patient I also had a 17mo old at the time who needed my attention too. I am not sure the babywearing would have worked for her because she hated being confined in anything!! But I am sure it wouldnt hurt to try LoL!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It sounds like its something more than colic. I would go get a second opinion, and have the baby checked for other possible problems.

Have you tried putting baby to sleep on his tummy? My son was cranky and gassy ALL the time, and I strictly breastfed. He was always crying and really uncomfortable. At 4 weeks old, I finally broke down and put him on his tummy to sleep. He changed into a different baby. He slept for 6 hours, no more gass, no more crazy fussiness. It worked for me. Try it. Good Luck, we are all here for you, so dont feel like you are alone. *Hugs*
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2010