what the bible says about spanking...... yet it still does not always feel like the right thing to do.... why?

- Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

- Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

- Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

- Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

- Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

- Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
So the bible says to spank. Some people say we are misinturperating it but it seems pretty clear to me that it says too.. but sometimes it still feels wrong. This is where I am having a problem, I dont know if its my big mommy heart not wanting to see my toddler disciplined or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because theBible is not always right because some of what worked then does not work now, and because you should follow your mother intuition, and spanking does not work, in the long run what you are teaching you fix things with violence.

Answer by older at 2:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The misconception here is we assume the rod means spanking. All those verses mean is to disipline the child, and teach them lessons. It doesn't necessarily mean spank. :) Hope this helps you at least feel a little better. The bible does not demand a spanking. Good luck!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Hey hot mama, is this why we can't always take the words in the Bible literally? what does the rod mean then?

Answer by older at 2:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Proverbs 13:24 (New Living Translation)

24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children.
    Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

Proverbs 19:18 (New Living Translation)

18 Discipline your children while there is hope.
    Otherwise you will ruin their lives.

Proverbs 22:15 (New Living Translation)

15 A youngster’s heart is filled with foolishness,
    but discipline will drive it far away.

Proverbs 23:13 (New Living Translation)
    13 Don’t fail to discipline your children.
    They won’t die if you discipline them.

Proverbs 23:14 (New Living Translation)

14 Discipline
    may very well save them from death

Proverbs 29:15 (New Living Translation)

15 To discipline a child produces wisdom,
    but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

Yep the rod simple meaens DISCIPLINE! I was very confused about this to so I looked into it. The above are the translation verses into this time and age. What they mean from the old English to now.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• the king james bible is a direct translation fron the original texts... the new living is a rewording of another english translation.....not exactly acurate wording... new living also completelt leaves out verses about salvation, so i would not hang my hat on it if i where you.... but thats not the topic of discussion.

as far as spanking goes there is a right way and wrong way
    eg. dont spank in anger
    explain that there is a punnishment for sin ect ect...
    always hug them and let them know you love them tem after a spanking..
    Anonymous

Sorry I have to correct you there. King James is written in old enlish. Which English has evolved greatly since. When is the last time you heard some one say thee, or thy. Other than a play, book, or the bible. The words are no longer used. The new living translation takes this unused words and gives the definition for how they are used in modern time. Nothing was changed just defined. Look it up it will prove I am not inaccurate in my claims. Read Romeo and Juliet most of what is in there is defined in the bask to be words we use today. It is not inaccurate or changed, just defined.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• are used in modern

Sorry that was supose to be used in that time
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• it still leaves out whole scriptures about salvation notice how verse 37 is totally left out?!
    34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, was the prophet talking about himself or someone else?"35 So beginning with this same Scripture, Philip told him the Good News about Jesus.
    36 As they rode along, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "Look! There's some water! Why can't I be baptized?"*38 He ordered the carriage to stop, and they went down into the water, and Philip baptized him.
    39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away. The eunuch never saw him again but went on his way rejoicing.40 Meanwhile, Philip found himself farther north at the town of Azotus. He preached the Good News there and in every town along the way until he came to Caesarea.

Anonymous

• Acts 8:37 (King James Version)

37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

thats what they left out.... i dont trust a version that leaves stuff out revelation talks about taking away from the bible
    Anonymous