Should I allow my teen go into town on Easter?

My teen (he is 17) wants to leave and go hang out with friends. He said Easter is lame and he has no reason to stay home. I told him that would be nice if he actual hung out with his family. So now he is just moping around and sitting in his room. I told him that I want him to come into the living room and do things with us. I had the whole day planned to do family activities, but nope he says that its all boring. He wants to leave know its only 11:38 am. For xmas he at least stayed with us until 6pm. I just so upset right now. I just at the point to say fine go, then to have him here making things drama around here.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell him if he joins in the family fun he can go - the more he joins in the sooner he can go, but if he's just going to sit in his room moping he's staying there. If he joins in I'd let him go around 5.
    Anonymous

• I would say let him go. Some battles aren't worth fighting. Enjoy the time with the kids and family that are there.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• We don't celebrate Easter (we're Jewish) but Sundays are typically family days if the teens don't have to work (usually 1 works mornings and the other works evenings). We knew that the grocery store that they work at was going to be closed at 4 today and both were off work before 2p. We had plans for our family day but at the last minute our sons both sprung on us that they wanted to spend time with their girlfriends. My 1 sson is leaving in July for Army basic and I know that next year he won't be able to spend Easter with his gf and my other son will be in college as will his gf and he probably won't be spending time with her family on Easter so we compromised. We let the one have from 2-4 with his gf (she has family plans after 4) and the other gets from 4-7 with his gf and her family and at 7:30 we're going to see Clash Of The Titans. I would NEVER spend time with just 1 and noth the other. So, I suggest compromise.
    Anonymous

• Do whatever as a family and then let him go out witth his friends or let him hang out with his friends from x-x and then do whatever as a family. Don't penalize him because he has plans but don't let him get away from spending time with his family either.
    Anonymous

• My ils typically only require that teen BIL be present for the meal, but they have the two elder marrieds with grandchildren to spend time with.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• When I was a teen, I stayed with my family for all holidays. But I see my husband's little brother and sister on holidays going to hang out with their friends. It's different in every family. I say let him go. In a few years after he doesn't live with you anymore he will want to spend holidays with you :)
    mehargval

Answer by mehargval at 5:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• well hes 17 going on 18. what do you expect? i dont celebrate easter either (im wiccan) and if he doesnt wan to hang out with you so what? sorry but thats my attitude sorry very sorry but hes not a baby anymore. if he doesnt like the holiday u cant make him sit down and be miserable because you say so. i do not do that to my kids at all. its not about them walking all over you. its about them if there happy.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 5:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• aersolove, my sons are 18 and 19 and I believe that you most certainly CAN expect your teens to spend time with their family. We may make compromises but as long as they live in this house (while attending high school, they are both seniors) family time is a must, family meals are a must (we eat as a family EVERY SINGLE NIGHT Mon.-Sun.) and having their gfs over here to spend time at our house is a must. They do not have TV's in their room, they do not have computers in their rooms and they do not have game systems in their rooms. We watch TV as a family, the computers are in the living room and we have a TV in the living room just for video games. Bedrooms are for sleeping, not for hibernating in. I have teens who love spending time with their parents and siblings and 2 adult (22 and 23) sons who call us often and a daughter in law who calls to talk to me 1-2 times a week. We are a very close family.
    Anonymous

• The age of the child doesn't matter. If he's living under your roof, then he abides by your rules. You're the parent, and there's nothing wrong with you telling him that he's spending the day with you. Let him mope and sigh and cast longing glances at the door. Ignore it. Deep down, all children, including teens, want their parents to set limits.
    haysncgirl

Answer by haysncgirl at 10:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• All holidays are mine, my kids know this. They have every other day of the week I don't think it is to much to ask that I get the holidays.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010