what the bible says about spanking...... yet it still does not always feel like the right thing to do.... why?

- Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

- Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

- Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

- Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

- Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

- Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
So the bible says to spank. Some people say we are misinturperating it but it seems pretty clear to me that it says too.. but sometimes it still feels wrong. This is where I am having a problem, I dont know if its my big mommy heart not wanting to see my toddler disciplined or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't spank cuz the bible tells me to (even though I believe in it), I spank b/c I have seen children who are only ever "talked sternly" too and let me tell you, they are HELLIANS and BRATS and get away with MURDER. It's ridiculous, a lot of times a kid needs a swat on the bum and that's that. Doesn't mean you beat them, especially with a rod like stated in the above scriptures. But negative behavior deserves a negative reaction, not a preant turning the other cheeck.
    Anonymous

• I agree anon 2:54 poster...I spank my son when needed...its not a beating and it has corrected a lot of behavior issues with him. He is only 1 but he knows and understands and I also let him know before that he is getting a spanking b/c he did such and such. I don't like to spank my child but I know it is needed to show you are the boss as a parent....others may believe differently but as for my family this is our method of correction
    Anonymous

• We spank on great occasion, but not for minor offenses. The "punishment should fit the crime" and spanking is not always in order. I knew my parents would spank me and that knowledge was enough - they never had to do it! I have 4 kids and the older 3 I have spanked a few times - I can probably count the times on my hands. The youngest I have not had to spank yet (he's 16 months), ignoring tantrums and redirection are all that's been needed to this point.

Answer by missanc at 4:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• the bible also says that a woman isn't allowed to teach scriptures, that a girl is a possession and that it is okay to stone your daughter to death! Yes there are scriptures that tell you to discipline your child, and 2000 years ago it was common to take a stick and beat a child for a wrongdoing. I believe the intent is to tell you to discipline in an effective way, in a way that you are comfortable with. The bible has been interpreted over thousands of years. If you have ever played Chinese whispers in a room with ten people, did the message ever stay exactly the same from the first person to the last? I believe in God and in the teachings of God but I have serious problems with taking each and every word in the bible as a literal meaning.\
    We spank on very rare occasions, and to be honest I always feel as though I have reacted from anger not from a point of discipline
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• they are HELLIANS and BRATS and get away with MURDER. -
    Not all of them are - just as not all children who are spanked turn out to be model citizens
    Anonymous

• Read this article - very informative on what 'child' should mean in the English version of the Bible

http://parentingfreedom.com/discipline/

DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 8:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Just because it says rod doesn't mean it has to be physical discipline. I think some people try to intrepret the bible to literally. I intrepret that to mean that disciplining your kids is a good think and not disciplining them is a bad thing because they won't learn the correct way to behave. Thats just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Things have changed a lot since the bible was written. It's thousands of years old, right? The bible also says that you should throw stones at strangers who come to your village if they do not believe in God. It's okay to not base every detail of your life on an ancient manuscript. If you don't feel comfortable spanking your child, don't do it! There are many other ways of disciplining that work very well. I'm sure God will forgive you.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• First, don't bother getting advice in the answers section. Go to a Christian group. Speaking directly to the subject, I will assume the Bible says to spank, for the sake of argument. What do you spank for? It isn't written out, is it? Perhaps spanking isnt' the only discipline method, even if it is one. Consider the example of Jesus. He's just been kicked out of a town because they don't want to accept him. His disciples ask to bring down the fire and brimstone, to murder these people. Jesus rebukes and teaches them. Again. We see from his example that even adults need to be told the same thing 100 times. I mean, Martha was arguing with Jesus when He was trying to raise Lazarus. Arguing with Jesus! He took time to retell her the same freaking thing that He already told her 100 times. You have to first ensure you are are instilling the message in you child with repetition.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Also, you have to read the Bible as a whole, never pulling out a verse without examining the context. Many things written in the old testament that people use to argue, are clearly gone in the new testament. Circumcision, for example. Remember that we are not under Jewish law, as the law was fulfilled. So when people say the Bible says to stone, no, not exactly. That was their government system before the resurrection. After, Jesus says sure, stone away, but the person who has never sinned can throw the first stone. No one there except Him could throw one. And then He did not throw one, either.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2010