Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any wives here who are Army wives? Question about JAG/Divorce

So i wanted to find out more info on this. i dont know if its different at every base or the same. how does a spouse (me) go about divorcing? (hes army)

JAG? Or Civilian lawyer? Does he have to be the one who has to do the paper work or can i just find info on my own and set up a appointment?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (7)
  • Go to JAG. They will tell you all you need to know about the military part of it. You will probably need a civilian Lawyer, find one that knows military law.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • OP here- ahh okay thanks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • Your DH does not have to be the one to initiate the divorce.  You can.


    Answer by louise2 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • op here- thanks. i emailed 4 diff civilian lawyers specializing in military law

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • from what i know jag does not deal with divorce especially when they are children involved. u have to talk to a civilian lawyer.

    Answer by 3xangel at 6:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • I'm not an Army wife, but I can tell you that this is a DoD thing - and basically, the first one to get to the JAG is the one who can ask them the questions. If he's already been in to talk to them, then you can't talk to the same JAG office (not even a different person in the same office) about it.

    I have a friend going through that here - she talked to the JAG here, so her dh had to talk to them at another base (Navy family), and an Air Force friend who couldn't talk to them b/c her (now) ex had beaten her to them. The only time it didn't work like this that I know of is my friend (Army wife) who talked to JAG and her (now) ex still could - and that was because she was divorcing him for sexually abusing their dd, so there was lots more to it than a divorce...

    They can't handle your divorce for you as your lawyer, but they can answer some questions for you and point you in the right direction.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

  • They can't do the divorce. They can give you advice. You need a civ attorney. I don't know if they can do the separation or not. When I was going through a divorce, I went to JAG. My ex told me they wouldn't help me, they'd help him. Well, he didn't pay me the, no alimony, I can't think of it, but he decided he wouldn't pay. JAG called his XO, made some threats, I got my money. They began to hate him, and his CO, btw. But it wouldn't hurt going in and getting advice anyway. They may be of more help then we know. GL!

    Answer by Raine2001 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.