Someone please give me some good insight on how long this will last!

The fit throwing! My son used to be so easy going until he turned 14 months..he is now 15 months and it seems to be getting worse everyday. I ignore it, distract him, put him in his bed til he is calm and nothing seems to be working. Granted he is teething so I understand part of it is that he is in pain but I feel like I am gonna go crazy sometimes...i can't seem to make him happy anymore these days w/o a fit. Please anyone have some good insight on when it might cease a lil bit?!

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hun, all I can say is this: little kid, little problem, big kid, big problem! It will cease, can't give you an exact time, but it will, when he realizes his tantrum are not working, hang in there.

Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• lol In about 3 years? It will take some time for him to figure out it's not working. My youngest is 16 months and we're right there with you, although he has been doing it for a few months and just starting to figure it out. My oldest is almost 13 and it does get easier, as long as you set boundaries and rules when they are young and are consistent with follow through. They go through periods of testing - my 8 year old is at another one right now. Just stay firm. Pick ONE method and go with it - if you are doing different things when he is throwing fits it may take him longer to understand. We just ignore it.

Answer by missanc at 4:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Thats a typical child... it will end prolly never. every age has its issues. may the force be with u... I have a child who is a drama queen, crier and shes 6 so good luck!!!!! prayer helps.. :)
    Anonymous

• Things to change a lot when they go to school and realize that type of behavior is not acceptable to the teacher or peers. But you may still get it at home, a lot depends on their personality. Different ages, different stages. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I am with you on this one. I have a 15 month and he is doing the same thing. All I can do is ignore it and just wait this stage out. Good luck to you.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 5:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Change his schedule. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep, not getting enough to eat, needs to release more energy, or he could be bored. If there's something about his schedule that is making him irritable, then he's bound to throw more fits. Even if he is the most easy going kid, he's bound to get upset when something isn't right or comfortable for him. My son usually is well behaved and very easy going, but when he's over tired, hungry, or bored he gets into all the trouble he can find. Throwing huge fits when I take him away from it. So I try to make sure that he gets enough sleep, eats every meal, and is well entertained. That usually keeps our days fit free. Of course we do have bad days when he just wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, so to speak. Those are rare though.

So that's my suggestion. Just see if it's his schedule or if he's just bored. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If your son is teething and he may be in pain, you may want to sooth his gums with some teething ointment such as orajel or ask his pediatrician what to use. Try to watch and see what causes the tantrums and work from there. Don't be harsh with him, but also don't smile, because kids like to watch your face expressions and use that against you. While he is having his tatrums, sit quietly and let him calm himself down as long as he doesn't harm himself.
    julybaby53

Answer by julybaby53 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• my son started that at 15 months and now weve noticed the more and more he is talking is seems to be subsiding they just get frustrated not being able to communicate with us try working on simple words like again or more these simple words have saved of from MAJOJR meltdowns !
    Brynnlyman

Answer by Brynnlyman at 6:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2010