Changing babys formula...

My daughter was first on Gerber's Goodstart gentle plus, she started getting really fussy and then I switched her to Enfamil fussiness and gas. She has been doing very good on it and it's been about 3 months.

I am on WIC and now that I moved to a different state, they only provide the goodstart formula, even if I get a doctors note. So I have to switch her back, now that she's older, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Is there a certain way to do it, like do half and half or do I just cut cold turkey? Anyone have good advice on how to switch?

xohcannizzo

Asked by xohcannizzo at 4:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im shocked that with a doctors note u cant keep it.... maybe see if they have a soy or lactose free one u can try....
    Anonymous

• um do half and half fist, maybe that she's older she may be able to toelerate it better, if she still has problems do what the other poster said try soy based formula but that needs a dr note, same thing happen to my LO when she was a newborn
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I would try a mixture first - 1/4 of the "new" stuff and 3/4 of the "old" stuff. If it goes well like that for a couple of days, then go half and half. If it goes well that way for a couple days again, then go to 3/4 of the new stuff and 1/4 of the old stuff, another couple days, and then all new formula. I don't believe in making a switch like that cold turkey - it can be hard on a baby's immature system!
    Anonymous

• just switch it, and if they have problems going to the bathroom, prune juice works great. i was in the same situwation as you with wicc, but my daughter needs a special formula that is 32$! a can!!!!!!!! so they had to approve it but the simalic brand
    Anonymous

• You CAN have it with a drs note, they are just telling you you cant because they dont want the hassle. Push the issue and call headquarters if you have too. However, do 1/4 3/4 then 1/2 1/2 then 3/4 1/4 then you should be able to do full on. Takes about a week or so I beleive.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 8:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The reason they can't give the different brand of formula is that each state has a contract for a certain brand of formula. Their contract must be with Goodstart. Hopefully the switch goes easy for her.
    Anonymous

• One of my good friends works for WIC and in our state they also only do Goodstart (or at least that is what they say). I would let them know she has a problem with the gentle plus and ask if they can suggest another that qualifies. It will probably still be Goodstart but a different type. Try that and if/when it doesn't work let them know. Keep going unitl there is nothing then say Ok I've tried your options and they do not work, my DR recommends "The name" and then present them with a prescription. She said they will give you what you want once you jump through their hoops... It sucks, but if you need the help and ur daughter needs that formula then this will help you get it! As far as to switching, don't do cold turkey, mix it and gradually step down. Roseandlily's had it right in a few posts up. Good Luck!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• When I had to switch my son's formula, his pedi told me to do it an once at a time (if you have enough formula) every couple days. Example: If you are giving her a 4 ounce bottle the first 3 to 7 days you would do one ounce of the new stuff and 3 ounces of the old stuff. After the time frame of 3 to 7 days you go up another ounce, 2 ounces of old 2 ounces of new and so on. You don't want to just switch her cold turkey cause that will cause more problems since her belly is used to the other stuff.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 11:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• TrystansMom314 has it exactly right. I've had to do that for both of my girls. You just have to jump through their hoops before they will change it. I also had to get three different prescriptions before it was the "correct" way for them. It's ridiculous, but you have to do what you have to do. And you'll have to get the prescription redone every so often.
    slreed24

Answer by slreed24 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• "You CAN have it with a drs note, they are just telling you you cant because they dont want the hassle. Push the issue and call headquarters if you have too. However, do 1/4 3/4 then 1/2 1/2 then 3/4 1/4 then you should be able to do full on. Takes about a week or so I beleive. "

I am a WIC Nutritionist for the state of Missouri. Every state is different, but...in Missouri you cannot have a non-contract formula unless there is no equivalent formula made. For instance: Mo is contracted with Enfamil, but if your child requires Similac Alimentum. We can provide it with a Dr's Special Formula Form. It actually isn't much of a hassle to switch the formula with proper documentation. Without the documentation or if it is just simply a formula we cannot provide, no amount of pushing will get you that formula.

I recommend you follow everyone else's advice and transition your baby slowly from gentlease to the goodstart.
    mombychoice1982

Answer by mombychoice1982 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010